Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ingrown toe nail question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
Will my regular doctor remove it, or will i have to see the foot doctor. I don't know if any of you ladies ever had an ingrown toe nail but trust me it's painful to even walk or to touch it.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittney28
by Brittney on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I have had them but never seen a doc for it. It usually subsides in about a week or so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed107
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You can go into a good nail salon and they will cut it out and remove it, if you like.

poeticrose09
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I had one once that my pcp gave me antibotics for and told me to soak it every couple hours in hot water and epsom salt and push the skin back afterwards and slowly it came out. Otherwise I would've. Had to have my nail ripped off. Also try getting a pedicure because those help so much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
night.magic
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Soak your foot in some warm water and white vinegar a few times per day, softens the skin around it, and hopefully you can pull it out or drain it. My Mom is diabetic and gets them, she has to see a dr. that specializes in foot care.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I went to a podiatrist ( foot dr). Mine were so bad they had to cut them out and one had to be done twice. And that was after a year of me soaking my feet and doing it at home. But no matter what I do to fix it. Make sure from now one u keep your toenails just a little longer than the end of your toe to prevent them from happening again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I used to get them all the time on certain toes because of the way my pedicurist would cut my toenails. They are agonizing! I never went to the doctor over it though. I would soak them is a warm Epsom salt bath for a few days, then on day four or five I would pull the skin over to expose the nail and cut the nail. Make sure you cut it straight across and don't round off the nail because that can cause it to grow back in.
smenjivar
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM
My daughter used to get them. I had to take her to a foot doctor. He Gave her a shot in the area to numb the toe then he removed that part of the nail. Thing is the shot he Gave her kills that part of the nail so it won't grow back, but my daughters did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Will my regular doctor remove it, or will i have to see the foot doctor. I don't know if any of you ladies ever had an ingrown toe nail but trust me it's painful to even walk or to touch it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

my regular doctor did mine. have you tried soaking it in hot water (like as hot as you can stand) with epsom salts in it? it will kill the bacteria and it should work its way out (I did it that way for years and years, like from the time i was 5 until 21) 

Grumpylilpixy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I remove them myself I usually find something thin enough to slide down in there and pull it up. It can be painful but relief is immediate. Now I do it often to keep it from getting to painful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I had one. I soaked it in epsom salt water (20-30 mins) and it was fine the next day and I haven't had any problems since!

Or you could take DH's advice - use a straight edge razor and cut it out. (That option WASN'T for me!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN