Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O My Degree is better than Your Degree

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM
  • 33 Replies
2 moms liked this

So this chick teaches college says an Associates is not a Degree. Many making comments that an Associates is worthless. While I dig that one cannot get the same pay wage as one with a Bachelors or Masters so forth, depending on the school you get your degree really rates the value of your education.

Then you got my I refuse to speak Spanish post LOL (yes troll post I needed my fix from being gone awhile) where people lecturing that education and learning more is always better.

So, really, I have learned to realize that if the school is a quality school whether you start with an Associates, or a Trade School or brave enough to just go for your Bachelors, or finish off and acheive your Masters, I think most people failing to realize, that many with an Associates later will get their Bachelors, not all but some do.

I will say however, from my own experience working on my Programming Associates, I do not think Associates are sufficient for young people, and would recommend they consider doing a four year program (getting those general ed in) because they do have value to it.

I do think Associates are great for us older folks, people that havent had the opportunity to finish school or need to start school but still moms and children at home.

I think it is sad that so many look down on these certifications and associates because, really, we are only putting down people bettering themselves and continuing to learn.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

BUMP!

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

BUMP!

crescentstar2
by Anne on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

¿Que? 

;-)

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

stop that damnit!

Quoting crescentstar2:

¿Que? 

;-)

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

If we all had the same degree, how useless would that degree be? 

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on what you get your associates degree in. I'm getting mine in Dental Hygiene and that's all I need to work and make good money. If I went for my bachelors I could teach Dental Hygiene courses... which would actually be LESS money, so...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

no competitive wages? LOL

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If we all had the same degree, how useless would that degree be? 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I never could understand why one with more knowledge is worth less to teach or train others for that profession. Universities (mostly colleges) struggling to have quality education because they refuse to pay their professors what they are really worth.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

I think it depends on what you get your associates degree in. I'm getting mine in Dental Hygiene and that's all I need to work and make good money. If I went for my bachelors I could teach Dental Hygiene courses... which would actually be LESS money, so...

kitchen.ninja
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Hey I was saying it is great to learn a second language...I was not looking down on anyone who is not college educated. I'm not college educated and neither is my husband.

Personally I think associates and trades are extremely valuable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I still refuse to learn a second language LOL

Well wait... I take that back.

I am learning computer languages.

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

Hey I was saying it is great to learn a second language...I was not looking down on anyone who is not college educated. I'm not college educated and neither is my husband.

Personally I think associates and trades are extremely valuable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured