Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Some women can't breastfeed"

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
  • 589 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Were you physically capable of successful breastfeeding?

Options:

Yes, for as long as I wanted

Yes, but my supply dried up when I went back to work

No, I was unable to successfully breastfeed, but I tried (or knew I wouldn't be able to due to some medical issue)

I never tried and/or had no interest in trying

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1162

View Results

I always hear this on cafemom breastfeeding posts (like the food stamps one today). I understand some women have medical issues, but seriously, how many women aren't capable of breastfeeding?

I'm not judging/debating anyones decision to not breastfeed. I'm just wondering how much truth their is to this claim. From what I've read, it is uncommon for women to be unable to breastfeed and some issues can be resolved or worked around with a feeding system.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM
18 moms liked this
It just doesn't work with everyone. Why can't people accept that?

ETA: maybe some moms just choose not to. Choosing not to BF doesn't mean a mom is going to end up on every form of pa out there. I also was not referring to the OP in any way.

Chill your biscuits!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MOMMY2ACR
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this
For my oldest I only pumped. I was like a dang dairy cow and had lots of milk saved up. With dd2 I'm doing fine at exclusively breastfeeding. She's only a week and a half old, but so far so good lol. It's actually a lot easier than I thought. It makes me regret not doing it with my first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2hadley
by Heather on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM
I was able to breastfeed. My younger sister wasn't able to due to her blood pressure medication. She was devastated about it. She never produced any milk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's kind of like debating theology. It's a strong conviction on both sides.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

It just doesn't work with everyone. Why can't people accept that?

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM
No issues with any of mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM
I had to pump then just switched to formula.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM
With my first I ebf for 14 months until she self weaned. With my second I bf for 3 1/2 months then had to stop due to health issues and medicine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I was unable to successfully breastfeed. I was devastated. I loved doing it and felt so defeated when I had to stop. My problem was the fat content in my milk. I worked with WIC, lactation consultants, and my doctor. I tried so hard, but I can't make my boobs do something they don't want to. At 2 months old my son, who was born a little over 7 lbs, was in preemie clothes. He had just gotten up to his birthweight after I started to supplement with formula. Once I switched completely to formula, he thrived for the first time ever! Since that point he made it to, and stayed at, the 50th percentile at every check-up.

I love my baby boy and wanted to give him the best, for him that meant drinking formula. I produced large quantities also, it was just all the watery foremilk.
inthestars711
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I breastfed for as long as I could which was 5 months, then out of nowhere my supply had like dried up overnight.

I will also breastfeed for as long as I can with DS2 who is still cooking :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJuliet
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:54 AM
7 moms liked this

I had twins and I breast fed! It's possible if you dont have a life! <3 lol!!
it's hard work, motherhood isn't easy, but if people don't want to breast feed and pay $20 a can for formula, their money.

But if a mother isn't producing enough breastmilk, I would rather her use formula than to let her child starve! It's like some people don't think about that, they just sit on their highhorse with their saggy tits!

-Melissa Juliet
vote for my blog pretty please! just click on " the best mom blogs" picture and your golden!
Thank you!
www.MePlusYouAndTWO.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)