Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Some women can't breastfeed"

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Were you physically capable of successful breastfeeding?

Options:

Yes, for as long as I wanted

Yes, but my supply dried up when I went back to work

No, I was unable to successfully breastfeed, but I tried (or knew I wouldn't be able to due to some medical issue)

I never tried and/or had no interest in trying

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1162

View Results

I always hear this on cafemom breastfeeding posts (like the food stamps one today). I understand some women have medical issues, but seriously, how many women aren't capable of breastfeeding?

I'm not judging/debating anyones decision to not breastfeed. I'm just wondering how much truth their is to this claim. From what I've read, it is uncommon for women to be unable to breastfeed and some issues can be resolved or worked around with a feeding system.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

some women just flat dont want to BF, and if some women dont like it they can just shove it.

Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM
I just reached a year. No issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Something like around 5% of women don't produce enough milk and another 5% have medical issues that would prevent it. Its not very many at all. And I don't care what other people do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I am not sure what to put as an answer but I tried with my first and we had a lot of trouble after we got her latching right.  I didn't do enough research to find the answer to our problems, got discouraged and quit after two weeks.

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM
LOL. I had to ask.

Quoting amandae21:

I think it's kind of like debating theology. It's a strong conviction on both sides.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

It just doesn't work with everyone. Why can't people accept that?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maiosameru
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Unable to breastfeed because of medications/supply problem associated with said medications

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Most women can breastfeed. It is rare that a woman cannot do it.

keisha613
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/15842232/Help_Any_advice_for_a_baby_who_wont_latch_Video_Included

Peera
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM
3 moms liked this

While I know that there are women who legetimately CAN'T, I do have a strong belief that lots of women go into it thinking it's going to be easier than it is, and then when things just aren't going smoothly as they feel like they should, give up, and then claim they "couldn't." I couldn't believe how bad the learning curve was, and almost gave up a few times myself, but I just kept pushing through and made it the whole first year, till my son weaned himself. 

T-HoneyLuv
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My kid told me that he wanted to try the canned stuff. Hey, I left it up to him...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN