Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Some women can't breastfeed"

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Were you physically capable of successful breastfeeding?

Options:

Yes, for as long as I wanted

Yes, but my supply dried up when I went back to work

No, I was unable to successfully breastfeed, but I tried (or knew I wouldn't be able to due to some medical issue)

I never tried and/or had no interest in trying

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1162

View Results

I always hear this on cafemom breastfeeding posts (like the food stamps one today). I understand some women have medical issues, but seriously, how many women aren't capable of breastfeeding?

I'm not judging/debating anyones decision to not breastfeed. I'm just wondering how much truth their is to this claim. From what I've read, it is uncommon for women to be unable to breastfeed and some issues can be resolved or worked around with a feeding system.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I was able to, but DD wasn't. She was preterm and couldn't latch. I talked to 2 different LC's, and neither was able to help. I was able to get a nice pump through my insurance because of DD being preterm. I pumped for a month before I dried up.I wanted to BF so bad. :(

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:05 AM
4 moms liked this

I dunno OP. I did it four times. FOUR times. What happened back in the day when women's supply ran out (before formula was in the picture)? There was no OPTION of not breastfeeding. You did it and you made it work. That is what happened in our family. We dealt with thrush a zillion times, mastitis, low supply, bad latches. You name it, we've survived it. 

I think if a woman had no other choice, she'd feed her baby the way nature intended to. It's just easy to give up quickly if you have bottles to run to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I tried but I couldn't produce enough for my DD.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:06 AM
My daughter had colic so I ended up giving up on bfing. Her pedi kept thinking that it was something I was eating causing her discomfort. It's a good thing though because she turned out to be intolerant to milk, soy, and most meat products until she was 2 and she is allergic to peaches and citrus fruits. In order to keep bfing her I would have had to eat nothing but veggies, and that's unhealthy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmm guess you would like my child to starve as I'm on CHEMO. Ok I understand I should of saw into the future that they'd find that I had cancer while I was prego. 

Quoting divinedimension:

I dunno OP. I did it four times. FOUR times. What happened back in the day when women's supply ran out (before formula was in the picture)? There was no OPTION of not breastfeeding. You did it and you made it work. That is what happened in our family. We dealt with thrush a zillion times, mastitis, low supply, bad latches. You name it, we've survived it. 

I think if a woman had no other choice, she'd feed her baby the way nature intended to. It's just easy to give up quickly if you have bottles to run to.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I said other. The first time around, I received REALLY bad advice from lactation consultants, but primarily wasn't able to breastfeed because I wasn't psychologically able to do so. I pumped for 3 months and that was that. 

this time, my son is 18 months and going strong-- not a drop of formula in his little body. 

Schleetle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Yes. The only troubles I had were due to lack of knowledge about BFing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM
It still happened then... My great grandmother was what they called a wet nurse for women who couldn't or babies who didn't have a mother

Quoting divinedimension:

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I had no issues but my bff tried so hard to bf but she has inverted nipples and had to use a shield and neither of her daughters would latch on. She was devastated, I think that if her life had been less stressful she would have had a better chance but she is so high stress that she could not handle the baby crying when she was hungry. 

I have my own opinions on Bf'ing but after watching her struggle I will not judge anyone.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

yet theology is a life long conviction, breast feeding/formula feeding an infant is temporary. Something that is a blip on the radar in a childs life. 

Quoting amandae21:

I think it's kind of like debating theology. It's a strong conviction on both sides.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

It just doesn't work with everyone. Why can't people accept that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN