Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Some women can't breastfeed"

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Were you physically capable of successful breastfeeding?

Options:

Yes, for as long as I wanted

Yes, but my supply dried up when I went back to work

No, I was unable to successfully breastfeed, but I tried (or knew I wouldn't be able to due to some medical issue)

I never tried and/or had no interest in trying

Other...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1162

View Results

I always hear this on cafemom breastfeeding posts (like the food stamps one today). I understand some women have medical issues, but seriously, how many women aren't capable of breastfeeding?

I'm not judging/debating anyones decision to not breastfeed. I'm just wondering how much truth their is to this claim. From what I've read, it is uncommon for women to be unable to breastfeed and some issues can be resolved or worked around with a feeding system.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Replies (581-589):
marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Mine all had weight gain problems and had to have formula
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aishamusty
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

BUMP!

momof2891
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I had a breast reduction at the age of 21. I tried to bf in the hospital and for two
Weeks after. I finally went and talked to WIC and because of my daughter losing weight instead of gaining, they told me to start formula ASAP. Within two days of starting formula, my DD had gained weight and was almost back to her birth weight. She was a tiny baby to begin with- birth weight was only 6 lb 1 oz. I wanted to bf but I just couldn't and the breast reduction was medically necessary. The weight of my breasts were causing my spine to be pulled out of alignment and was causing problems with my muscles in my neck and shoulders.
HLmom89
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM
With my first i could of and wanted to but he didnt want to eat or even latch to me. And then i would of been pumping more and had to much
To store.
My youngest i didnt try and i barley produced enough milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristyG2012
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM
I couldn't get her to latch on the first week or so just to find out my nipples were inverted ' I needed to nurse w/ a nipple shield on. After that was fixed I breastfed for 3 months before we discovered Lexie had a heart condition that made nursing too tiresome for her. She would nurse FOREVER. Literally 6 hrs a day (I had a baby tracking app)! She would always pass out from exhaustion before she'd get enough...
So I pumped for another 2 months & supplemented formula before switching to just formula. I gave it my honest try tho...
landen1229
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I tried to breastfeed by my son wouldn't lach on. So i pumped as long as he would take breast milk. All of s sudden one day he didn't want it so we went to formula.

joelenemc
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I was able to breastfeed both my babies, but uh (TMI alert) I have a medical condition (Galactorrhea) where even though it's been YEARS since I've nursed, my body still produces breastmilk. Sigh.I feel like a dairy cow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

my milk came in at 6 months.I could of pumped for 3 months but I was on some pretty heavy meds to keep from miscarrying so not everyone can breastfeed.My doctor didn't even recomend it so unless you are a doctor      shut the hell up

blue_elephant
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I can't breastfeed as I don't produce milk or I produce too early and dry up by the time baby is born.
Yes I could pump, but because I had preterm labor in the past and have other problems I was advised by my doctor not too.
I tried with my first for a month until her pedi told me she was starving and I needed to give her formula, turns out I was dried up and she was eating air and what little bit of milk I had left. The doctor also told me if I kept trying my milk would come back since it wasn't completely dried up, it didn't.
I didn't try with any of my other kids because I didn't want to cry everytime they had a bottle because I couldn't do the one thing that most women can do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)