Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Overweight is not a synonym for lazy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 262 Replies
36 moms liked this

ETA:  A lot of you are missing the point.  This was not supposed to be a debate on what causes people to become over weight.  The point was, we don't know these women, or their backgrounds, and just because their overweight does not give us the right to judge or treat these women poorly.

I'm a little shocked by the excessive bashing towards overweight people.  Before you accuse me of being a butt hurt woman that suffers from being overweight - I'm not.  I'm perfectly average.

There are many reasons people are overweight that have nothing to do with being lazy or excessive eating.  Here's a short, non-inclusive list that can happen to anyone:

1. Depression

2. Stress

3. Medication

4. Thyroid issues

5. Slow metabolism or other genetic issues

6. Lack of exercise due to disability

7. Eating disorders

My point is - these women are still people.  They are mothers, daughters, wives, girlfriends, sisters, friends.  I know you can hide behind a computer screen and that makes the bashing seem okay - but it doesn't.  These are REAL people behind the other computers.  I hope you don't teach your children to say such things, and I hope that if your children experience some factors that contribute to being overweight, you aren't as heartless towards them as you are towards strangers.

Also - adding "Not to be rude, I'm really curious" doesn't make it any less rude.

That's all - have a great day.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

this should be interesting

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM
3 moms liked this
It's also not a SYNONYM for it. ;)
blessed107
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Teehee!

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Good catch - spelling is not my forte.  I'll fix, thanks.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
10 moms liked this
Oh please the USA has become a lazy, overweight, immobilized society. Go to other countries and you will see smaller portions and people walking and biking. Medical issues that cause weight gain are minuscule.
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this

cinnamon :)

Quoting ErikaRobin:

cupcake_mom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM
3 moms liked this

from an overweight(not super overweight) person, thank you! even thoough we choose to be on this site and such we still have feelings and it really isnt ok to to ppl the way most women on here do!

just for the record, i wasnt over weight till after i had my 2nd 2 years ago and im working to get rid of it

SharonHernandez
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM
4 moms liked this
Well said
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I've seen some really mean posts about over weight people here lately. It's mean and judgmental. I do have to agree with one post, that it takes a lot of work to be really obese. As in eating 3 value meals, 3 apple pies, and a large coke kind of situations but other than that group, women are just shaped differently.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I am the least lazy fat person I know lol. My friend remarked tonight that I do more than she does in a day and she has 4 kids! Mind you I babysit 2 of them overnight 5 nights a week and I have insomnia so I don't sleep much. But I am usually in the process of doing something, just can't do too much of anything at one time due to physical disablities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)