Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL invited people to stay at our house!!! VENT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies

MIL and FIL are organizing a family reunion for DH's family. We live in the same town as them so we will probably be going to most of the events they have organized and I have offered to help cool. Yesterday, I got a voicemail from MIL sayings that DH's aunt, uncle and 3 cousins and one of the cousin's SO will be staying with us for the week of the reunion. My first thought was that DH had offered to host someone without talking to me so I called him and he said this was the first he has heard of any of it. I have no interest in hosting 6 people for a week. We have a 4 bedroom home and we have 5 kids so while we are comfortable in our home (pretty big bedrooms) adding another 6 people would be a nightmare. DH called MIL to ask her what was going on and to tell her that we had NOT offered to host anyone, nor did we plan to. She said "well I already told them they could stay with ya'll, everyone else who lives in town is hosting, why can't ya'll?"  He said "well we have 5 kids, no one else has anything close to that and we didn't offer, you offered them a place to stay so you can provide it". The truth is is that coupled with the cost of feeding and housing 6 extra people for a week plus the inconvenience of it is just too much for us. 3 of our kids will be in school at that time , they need to be able to have good nights sleep, not be moved around to make room for guests.Still MIL said we are being selfish for not "helping out". What kind of person invites 6 people to stay at someone else's house without even asking them?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xoxoDanicaxoxo
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Say hell no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't do it. I hate when husband family use to stay with us for the weekend
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

That was pretty crappy on her part.  I don't blame you guys at all.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

sampson200
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM
4 moms liked this

While it was rude of her to assume, I think she thought, like the rest of the family, that you would be happy and willing.

I think you are being a little selfish not to host family coming in (when everyone else is also pitching in) but I can understand being pretty miffed.

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM
5 moms liked this

I am glad you and your DH put your foot down. MIL had no right to make these arrangements without your consent. Do not let her guilt trip you either. This is not your problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sampson200:

While it was rude of her to assume, I think she thought, like the rest of the family, that you would be happy and willing.

I think you are being a little selfish not to host family coming in (when everyone else is also pitching in) but I can understand being pretty miffed.

Everyone else who is hosting 1. offered (so they had time to prepare for this) and 2. has the room. They all either have no children living at home or in the case of SIL have only 1 child, we have 5. She didn't assume with everyone else so why should she assume with us.

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I could see if you offered to host coordinating one or two people to stay with you guys, but six and without your consent is way over the line. Stick to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have your dh call the people invited to stay with you directly and tell them its not gonna be possible(you werent even asked) and you're sorry and they will need to find other accomodations or a hotel.That is too much for you,esp having to feed them all for a week having 5 kids.Give them time to make other arrangements.You should have been asked.Its your house.Would they want you and all your kids forced on them for a week?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You aren't being selfish at all, you agreed to help not host so it's on her to find a place for those 6 people to stay. That's messed up that she would offer up your home without asking first and then be put out when you say no, if my so's mom did that shit would hit the fan.

ShesALady
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Why can't they get hotel rooms? I would never expect someone to take in 6 people. That's insane. Especially with our asking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN