Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I took my son who has autism to the store today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

It was a used store. He needed pants, and his little brother needed new pants too. He asked if he could play in the toy area, which is allowed. The store is always buzzing with kids at toy area. I said yes, and told him I would be close by the whole time.

This other kid and his 2 sisters were playing there to. When my son went over, they were at first playing nicely together.

As I was shopping close by, I hear them begin to argue. The other little boy was telling my son he couldn't play with the toys, they were all his because his mom was buying him everything in the store. My son was saying you didn't pay for it yet, so I should be allowed to play with the toys. I start to go over to nip this in the butt, and when I get there, I witness the following - The boy and his 2 sisters have piled all the toys into one are and are basically surrounding it my son says I want to play too the boy PUNCHES my SON in the gut! And my son jumped on him.

Okay, okay, I treat my autistic child NO DIFFERENT from ANY other child in the world so I always say NO HITTING OR JUMPING ON PEOPLE, etc. I grabbed him off and walked him over to the side. He was HAVING TROUBLE BREATHING CAUSE HE WAS HIT IN THE CHEST, NOT THE STOMACH LIKE I THOUGHT! No so he has had the WIND KNOCKED OUT OF HIM!!!!!!!! The mom comes by and she is STARING AT ME! At which point I said, Why dont you take a photo it'll last longer. She walked on. I told my son no more playing by the toys today. But her little one who was not even hurt she was all over him are you okay did that mean boy hurt you?! Yeah your little kid hit my kid and my kid has the wind knocked out of him, etc.

So I took my son on the bus towards home, feeling like a failure. I know the other kid hit him first, and was probably twice my kid's size, and age but my son never should have hit back. And I never should have left him in the play area, because even though the store encourages it and tells you that you can do it, well I just shouldn't have. :( I should also have not said a word to the other mom. In fact I should have apologized. I just messed up big time on three counts. I felt horrible, a failure, worst mommy award goes to.............

So I tell my child it isn't okay to hit. He says I know but I was so upset. I say next time you come find mommy. He says I know I am supposed to tell an adult if someone is mean or hits me. I tell him he is never allowed to jump on a child or adult. He says I know mommy I'm so sorry. I asked him and how do we tell mommy someone is being mean? He said, Quietly, and calmly or you won't know how to help me. I said good, you are right. I said if someone is hurting you by hitting or hurting you by saying mean things and making you feel bad... He said I come and tell mommy or daddy or any adult. I said you are a good kid, but we need to work on things. He said I know. I said give me a hug. He did. I said I love you, he said I love you too mommy.

Then I hear "GOOD JOB MOM. YOU ARE A GOOD MOM AND YOUR SON IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU! REALLY GOOD JOB!" I look up and see an elderly woman, and she smiled so brightly at me. And I teared up. I needed to hear that today. I really did.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

:)

NNB
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Thats so sweet, the end part I mean :) You sound like a great mum, i'm sure I would have gone mad if I witnessed some kid hitting my son, you were very controlled.. congrats :)

Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I am not sure why you feel you should have said sorry I would have called the manager and raised hell if it was my kid! That kid was a spoiled rotten brat both of them! Look at the mom! Hugs your a great mom I am an autism mom too

Quoting NNB:

Thats so sweet, the end part I mean :) You sound like a great mum, i'm sure I would have gone mad if I witnessed some kid hitting my son, you were very controlled.. congrats :)

levansbx
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM
You did GREAT. I truly mean that. You are always going to feel "shoulda woulda coulda" but you handled it wonderfully. Be proud :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

thank you guys, today was a tough day. But that woman made it so much better.

3boys1girl32
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Sorry about your son having problems with other kids.You
are being too hard on yourself, sounds like you are doing awesome job .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN