Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies if you can only afford to give used toys or clothes to the Angel Tree..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Don't bother. Just don't take a tag, it's that simple. Angel tree/TFT are for people to give new toys or clothes to children who may not get much on Christmas morning. They do not want you old, worn out clothes and raggedy stuffed animals. 

EDIT: I do not (and never did) have to use Angel tree ot TFT.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting mommy1008:

Ok I have a question since u seem to know all the proper etiquette. My dd picked two names off the tree and the ones she chose she did so because it was the same name as her and her sister. Anyways, one girl asked for an easy bake oven or a gymnastics Dora...both of which I can't afford. So is it ok if I get another age appropriate toy? I just wasn planning on spending $40/$60 on on ONE toy...

Yep those easy bake ovens are expensive (I looked for dd) In that case, yes , I would get a lesser expensive new toy. Perhaps a different Dora toy.

butterflies798
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM

While I do tend to agree with you, it isn't the rules for these particular programs. Everywhere you see the boxes or tree's, there are signs that say unwrapped NEW toys. If you want to donate your used items, there are plenty of places for those to go.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET! New toys are for my kids and if I have enough money I'll give what I can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw a tag asking for board games for a 10-13yo boy. I have a duplicate (unopened) that I really wanted to give but opted not to take the tag because I thought he should have more. I wish they would let you add just one or two things into the lot without doing the whole thing. I wouldn't care if I got no credit for it. I couldn't do a whole lot because I don't have that much to give.
mommy1008
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
That's what I was thinking of doing, maybe a Dora doll and then I can get some pj's and an outfit as well!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy1008:

Ok I have a question since u seem to know all the proper etiquette. My dd picked two names off the tree and the ones she chose she did so because it was the same name as her and her sister. Anyways, one girl asked for an easy bake oven or a gymnastics Dora...both of which I can't afford. So is it ok if I get another age appropriate toy? I just wasn planning on spending $40/$60 on on ONE toy...

Yep those easy bake ovens are expensive (I looked for dd) In that case, yes , I would get a lesser expensive new toy. Perhaps a different Dora toy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I can't figure out why anyone would even bother with the angel tree in the first place.  Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Operation Christmas Child.  Google it.  It's a legitimate charity that gives to those who really appreciate it.

butterflies798
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I agree! That little girl will love it, especially if she isn't used to getting things. :)

On a side note, I wanted to let the kids pick a name off the tree this year but haven't found one local. I wanted to donate to local families instead of driving into the city for this. I am sure I will find something :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy1008:

endoftheworld
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, so you feel self entitled to shit because you cannot afford anything, yet you would rather your child or children get nothing at all if no one can afford the NEW STUFF you want for your kids? Because not EVERY child gets picked, you know, and if you are saying no one should if they cannot afford brand new it will cut down on the kids who do get picked. Every year I give away my children's old clothing, shoes, and toys to families who really need them right around the holidays, and people are always thrilled to get these items. We never give things that are ripped or stained or shrunk or have missing laces or anything like that, and every toy we test and make sure it has all the pieces we do the same with games and check old books to ensure the binding is good and there are no writing on the pages, and the families who get them are ALWAYS more than greatful and thankful for it. Sounds like your kids will suffer because you are a total snob who is very UNGREATFUL and I would NEVER buy anything for your poor children because I wouldn't want someone like you whining that I didn't give them brand new stuff. Also, around here, the tree always has the same rule NEW OR GENTLY USED.

Quoting Anonymous:

Donate your used items to the Goodwill, and  let others buy the new toys/gifts.

DamiensMommy1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I agree with you in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endoftheworld
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My family was on the angel tree for years, and we always appreciated what our kids got. We never once brought the toys back for money or anything else. We were happy someone was nice enough to do for our children. Now we can afford it so we give back and help others all the time. Not only do we give used we also always pick some families and do new as well. It is a great feeling to know someone cared enough to help us and now we can help others and give back.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't figure out why anyone would even bother with the angel tree in the first place.  Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Operation Christmas Child.  Google it.  It's a legitimate charity that gives to those who really appreciate it.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM
I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN