Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies if you can only afford to give used toys or clothes to the Angel Tree..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Don't bother. Just don't take a tag, it's that simple. Angel tree/TFT are for people to give new toys or clothes to children who may not get much on Christmas morning. They do not want you old, worn out clothes and raggedy stuffed animals. 

EDIT: I do not (and never did) have to use Angel tree ot TFT.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (151-160):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
I have given used toys and gifts to people. I also give homemade gifts. As long as they are nice and in good condition, why not? Seems reasonable to me. Better for the wallet, better for the environment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you give your kids used toys for Christmas? And how do you wrap up say a my little pony or GI Joe, whose box is long gone?

Quoting ruthallen:

What if you have a easy bake oven that is used, still in good condition that no one plays with? its used but its what the kid wants... why not gift it? My kids have gotten used toys almost every year, why wouldn't I use the same standards for other kids as I do my own?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy1008:

Ok I have a question since u seem to know all the proper etiquette. My dd picked two names off the tree and the ones she chose she did so because it was the same name as her and her sister. Anyways, one girl asked for an easy bake oven or a gymnastics Dora...both of which I can't afford. So is it ok if I get another age appropriate toy? I just wasn planning on spending $40/$60 on on ONE toy...

Yep those easy bake ovens are expensive (I looked for dd) In that case, yes , I would get a lesser expensive new toy. Perhaps a different Dora toy.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Why wouldn't you give used toys? I don't really understand the point of buying brand new things. Does the packaging somehow make it special? If I had bought new stuff for my children, my daughter might have got one of the littlest pet shop things that she wanted. Because I bought used stuff, my daughter is getting practically an entire littlest pet shop city, all in excellent condition, for fifty dollars. Yay for eBay.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you give your kids used toys for Christmas? And how do you wrap up say a my little pony or GI Joe, whose box is long gone?

Quoting ruthallen:

What if you have a easy bake oven that is used, still in good condition that no one plays with? its used but its what the kid wants... why not gift it? My kids have gotten used toys almost every year, why wouldn't I use the same standards for other kids as I do my own?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommy1008:

Ok I have a question since u seem to know all the proper etiquette. My dd picked two names off the tree and the ones she chose she did so because it was the same name as her and her sister. Anyways, one girl asked for an easy bake oven or a gymnastics Dora...both of which I can't afford. So is it ok if I get another age appropriate toy? I just wasn planning on spending $40/$60 on on ONE toy...

Yep those easy bake ovens are expensive (I looked for dd) In that case, yes , I would get a lesser expensive new toy. Perhaps a different Dora toy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM
I agree. It's like a slap in the face. It's rude and disrespectful.
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that's one of the specifications for those charities. The toys and clothes have to be new. I really don't think they distribute used stuff.

endoftheworld
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Good for you! So can I! Now! There was a time we were struggling. Now we aren't. It can happen to anyone, and SOMEDAY you may find your little anonymous ass sitting on an unemployment line, and having to decide whether or not you are going to swallow your pride and accept some help, or let your children go without. It can happen to you, your spouse, both of you, your friend, a neighbor, your parents, your children when they older, anyone. I know in your perfect little world of silver spoons you don't believe me, after all "NOT ME!" is the attitude of many, but it surely can. I hope not for your sake because it sucks when it happens, but it CAN and it DOES all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

No thanks.  I can afford to buy my own without food stamps! :)

Quoting endoftheworld:

Nice how you only quoted a tiny bit of that and deleted the rest. So what if we were on for years? Now we have the money and opportunity to help others and we do every chance we get. Sometimes people need help, obviously you have never known that, being poor and needing help. Good for you, would you like a cookie?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not surprising.

Quoting endoftheworld:

My family was on the angel tree for years,

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Many of the kids have more than nothing. Their parents income just qualifies them for this program.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I can say as someone who used to get toys from the angel tree that you are dead wrong. When you are a kid who has nothing, everything counts. If people do what you say, there will be a whole lot of kids with absolutely nothing on Christmas. I would rather get an old toy and used clothing then nothing at all.

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

She sounds totally ungrateful but it does prove my point that it's not only the parents of the kids who receive assistance during the holidays.

My kids and us, for that matter, have never done this.

Apparently I could be making cash if I don't like the stuff people think we'll like.

Quoting furbabymum:

We were at the toy store with one of our neices and I was asking if she'd like a particular toy. She told me she only wanted ______ and if I got her anything else she'd sell it for the money. Ungrateful kid isn't getting anything from me! Anyway, so apparently even family will sell the shit you get them.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

And you think that every gift you give stays with its recipient? That the only regifters are the poor kid's and/or their parents?

It doesn't occur to you that at least in THIS group, a few aren't ball busting just to get a reaction?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But it can happen anywhere, in all walks of life.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not talking about the workers.  I'm talking about the recipients.  Do you really think all those kids keep the stuff they get?  Just ask the women here on CM and they will tell you that's not the case. They've done it themselves and admit to it.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

No, actually they don't. Both my husband and myself have worked at our town's Angel Tree for many years and Dh has worked in the SA warehouse, as well, putting the bags together for the kids.

The toys and clothing go directly to the children that the tags are for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I have no doubt that you know all about it.  :)

Quoting endoftheworld:

Good for you! So can I! Now! There was a time we were struggling. Now we aren't. It can happen to anyone, and SOMEDAY you may find your little anonymous ass sitting on an unemployment line, and having to decide whether or not you are going to swallow your pride and accept some help, or let your children go without. It can happen to you, your spouse, both of you, your friend, a neighbor, your parents, your children when they older, anyone. I know in your perfect little world of silver spoons you don't believe me, after all "NOT ME!" is the attitude of many, but it surely can. I hope not for your sake because it sucks when it happens, but it CAN and it DOES all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

No thanks.  I can afford to buy my own without food stamps! :)

Quoting endoftheworld:

Nice how you only quoted a tiny bit of that and deleted the rest. So what if we were on for years? Now we have the money and opportunity to help others and we do every chance we get. Sometimes people need help, obviously you have never known that, being poor and needing help. Good for you, would you like a cookie?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not surprising.

Quoting endoftheworld:

My family was on the angel tree for years,

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

So then, I am guessing you assume that people who are have their children on these charities are crack heads?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my money than support crack heads.  If you want to waste yours supplementing their habits, then have at it. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

the parents return the stuff for money.

All of them, huh?

Let me guess--you're another one who learned this on CM?

Good grief.

Why not put a GPS on the gifts given to a charity, be them new or used, just to ensure they're not returned for cash?

I mean considering that the gifts given come with a receipt (not normally) and that most places do not require a receipt to get cash back (they usually do).

But...yeah...that GPS thing might work. It can be a part of the new wave of charity giving--making damn sure that the gift give stays put or else.

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Okie dokie. That's fantastic.

Quoting Anonymous:

What? 

I don't give gifts to anyone except my kids and my mother.  All decretionary income we have goes directly to community organizations that benefit everyone, not just the poor. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

And you think that every gift you give stays with its recipient? That the only regifters are the poor kid's and/or their parents?

It doesn't occur to you that at least in THIS group, a few aren't ball busting just to get a reaction?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But it can happen anywhere, in all walks of life.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not talking about the workers.  I'm talking about the recipients.  Do you really think all those kids keep the stuff they get?  Just ask the women here on CM and they will tell you that's not the case. They've done it themselves and admit to it.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

No, actually they don't. Both my husband and myself have worked at our town's Angel Tree for many years and Dh has worked in the SA warehouse, as well, putting the bags together for the kids.

The toys and clothing go directly to the children that the tags are for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured