Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies if you can only afford to give used toys or clothes to the Angel Tree..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Don't bother. Just don't take a tag, it's that simple. Angel tree/TFT are for people to give new toys or clothes to children who may not get much on Christmas morning. They do not want you old, worn out clothes and raggedy stuffed animals. 

EDIT: I do not (and never did) have to use Angel tree ot TFT.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (161-170):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET! New toys are for my kids and if I have enough money I'll give what I can.

I don't think there's anything wrong with used toys, but worn out and ragged? That to me,is rude. I would never treat them like they should be "thankful" for the nasty, junker toys and clothes I sent them, but if you have a nice item in great condition to donate, I don't see the harm in that, either.

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Oh lawd.

Quoting Anonymous:

Their parents are begging so nobody has a right to complain! If it's that bad, they need to scrounge up pennies and head on over to the dollar store. That way they know their toys are new.

Quoting Anonymous:

These children are not begging. Their parents signed them up in the hopes to give them a nice holidsy. No begging involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to  sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

broken, or worn no but it's better than nothing I think. I played with cardboard boxes, pots & pans growing up so they are doing better than I did as a kid if they got worn toys.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET! New toys are for my kids and if I have enough money I'll give what I can.

I don't think there's anything wrong with used toys, but worn out and ragged? That to me,is rude. I would never treat them like they should be "thankful" for the nasty, junker toys and clothes I sent them, but if you have a nice item in great condition to donate, I don't see the harm in that, either.

furbabymum
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The worst part is I'd have given her the receipt so she could return it for something she liked. She doesn't need to be acting like that! Bah! I'm going to be the Christmas grinch here soon I tell ya!!

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She sounds totally ungrateful but it does prove my point that it's not only the parents of the kids who receive assistance during the holidays.

My kids and us, for that matter, have never done this.

Apparently I could be making cash if I don't like the stuff people think we'll like.

Quoting furbabymum:

We were at the toy store with one of our neices and I was asking if she'd like a particular toy. She told me she only wanted ______ and if I got her anything else she'd sell it for the money. Ungrateful kid isn't getting anything from me! Anyway, so apparently even family will sell the shit you get them.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

And you think that every gift you give stays with its recipient? That the only regifters are the poor kid's and/or their parents?

It doesn't occur to you that at least in THIS group, a few aren't ball busting just to get a reaction?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure it does. But it can happen anywhere, in all walks of life.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not talking about the workers.  I'm talking about the recipients.  Do you really think all those kids keep the stuff they get?  Just ask the women here on CM and they will tell you that's not the case. They've done it themselves and admit to it.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

No, actually they don't. Both my husband and myself have worked at our town's Angel Tree for many years and Dh has worked in the SA warehouse, as well, putting the bags together for the kids.

The toys and clothing go directly to the children that the tags are for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Well the ones in my neighborhood certainly aren't penniless because they are well educated,  intelligent,  hard working taxpayers.  Perhaps you live in Beverly Hills and the angel tree people only make $500K.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

So then, I am guessing you assume that people who are have their children on these charities are crack heads?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my money than support crack heads.  If you want to waste yours supplementing their habits, then have at it. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

the parents return the stuff for money.

All of them, huh?

Let me guess--you're another one who learned this on CM?

Good grief.

Why not put a GPS on the gifts given to a charity, be them new or used, just to ensure they're not returned for cash?

I mean considering that the gifts given come with a receipt (not normally) and that most places do not require a receipt to get cash back (they usually do).

But...yeah...that GPS thing might work. It can be a part of the new wave of charity giving--making damn sure that the gift give stays put or else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Maybe so, but the whole point in being someone who donates, is to give another kid something nice to have. I don't care if it's new or not, but if I am donating, I am doing it to give kids who are less fortunate nice things, so it kind of defeats the purpose of donating if you're going to give them ragged things.

Quoting Anonymous:

broken, or worn no but it's better than nothing I think. I played with cardboard boxes, pots & pans growing up so they are doing better than I did as a kid if they got worn toys.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Grandma.grandma
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM
This

Quoting .betty.white.:

Its tacky. Like regifting.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966

I guess I just honestly don't think about it too much when it comes to a gift I've given.

If they're gonna return it or even sell it on Craigslist, once it's out of my hands, it's up to them to keep or not.

I don't sell gifts given to us and our kid's have always been taught to be polite and respectful when someone has bought them a gift or is taking them to shop for one.

Hard to feel generous, however, when someone is so ungrateful.

Quoting furbabymum:

The worst part is I'd have given her the receipt so she could return it for something she liked. She doesn't need to be acting like that! Bah! I'm going to be the Christmas grinch here soon I tell ya!!

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She sounds totally ungrateful but it does prove my point that it's not only the parents of the kids who receive assistance during the holidays.

My kids and us, for that matter, have never done this.

Apparently I could be making cash if I don't like the stuff people think we'll like.

endoftheworld

You are a very cold person. I feel sorry for you and your children because you are so cold and such a cunt. As long as I have my family, I wouldn't care if we had ten cents to our name. As long as I have my children and my husband we are going to more than survive.

Now that my husband makes a lot, I love being able to give back to others. It is called paying it forward. But I will never be ashamed that we were in bad straights and needed help. Everyone needs help sometime. I truly hope that if it someday happens to you, someone is kinder to you about it than you were to me.

Have a nice day! *Hugs and love you way and hopes that someday you will grow a heart like the grinch!*

***It's not about how much you have, how much money you have, how large of a home you own, how many diamonds are on your wedding ring, how nice of a car you drive, what sort of presents your kids get, it's ALL about the HEARTS IN YOUR HOME AND HOW MUCH LOVE THEY CARRY********

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no doubt that you know all about it.  :)

Quoting endoftheworld:

Good for you! So can I! Now! There was a time we were struggling. Now we aren't. It can happen to anyone, and SOMEDAY you may find your little anonymous ass sitting on an unemployment line, and having to decide whether or not you are going to swallow your pride and accept some help, or let your children go without. It can happen to you, your spouse, both of you, your friend, a neighbor, your parents, your children when they older, anyone. I know in your perfect little world of silver spoons you don't believe me, after all "NOT ME!" is the attitude of many, but it surely can. I hope not for your sake because it sucks when it happens, but it CAN and it DOES all the time.

Quoting Anonymous:

No thanks.  I can afford to buy my own without food stamps! :)

Quoting endoftheworld:

Nice how you only quoted a tiny bit of that and deleted the rest. So what if we were on for years? Now we have the money and opportunity to help others and we do every chance we get. Sometimes people need help, obviously you have never known that, being poor and needing help. Good for you, would you like a cookie?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not surprising.

Quoting endoftheworld:

My family was on the angel tree for years,

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

At this point, I'll be honest--I have no clue what the heck you're talking about anymore.

You said you don't support crack heads. I asked if you assume all people needing assistance at this time of year were crack heads.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the ones in my neighborhood certainly aren't penniless because they are well educated,  intelligent,  hard working taxpayers.  Perhaps you live in Beverly Hills and the angel tree people only make $500K.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

So then, I am guessing you assume that people who are have their children on these charities are crack heads?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my money than support crack heads.  If you want to waste yours supplementing their habits, then have at it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN