Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies if you can only afford to give used toys or clothes to the Angel Tree..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Don't bother. Just don't take a tag, it's that simple. Angel tree/TFT are for people to give new toys or clothes to children who may not get much on Christmas morning. They do not want you old, worn out clothes and raggedy stuffed animals. 

EDIT: I do not (and never did) have to use Angel tree ot TFT.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (171-180):
furbabymum
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I had never given it any consideration until she said that. I realize it's up to them what they do with it but it kills the spirit of generosity and giving when you hear that. They don't have to love it, they don't have to keep it, but they do have to appreciate that I put some thought and money into them.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I guess I just honestly don't think about it too much when it comes to a gift I've given.

If they're gonna return it or even sell it on Craigslist, once it's out of my hands, it's up to them to keep or not.

I don't sell gifts given to us and our kid's have always been taught to be polite and respectful when someone has bought them a gift or is taking them to shop for one.

Hard to feel generous, however, when someone is so ungrateful.

Quoting furbabymum:

The worst part is I'd have given her the receipt so she could return it for something she liked. She doesn't need to be acting like that! Bah! I'm going to be the Christmas grinch here soon I tell ya!!

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

She sounds totally ungrateful but it does prove my point that it's not only the parents of the kids who receive assistance during the holidays.

My kids and us, for that matter, have never done this.

Apparently I could be making cash if I don't like the stuff people think we'll like.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

You asked if I think these people are crack heads.  I said that the people in my neighborhood aren't poor because they have jobs and work.  (It's because they are drug addicts) I then asked if the people in your neighborhood are higher quality poor people because that's who the people on the trees around here are.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

At this point, I'll be honest--I have no clue what the heck you're talking about anymore.

You said you don't support crack heads. I asked if you assume all people needing assistance at this time of year were crack heads.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the ones in my neighborhood certainly aren't penniless because they are well educated,  intelligent,  hard working taxpayers.  Perhaps you live in Beverly Hills and the angel tree people only make $500K.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

So then, I am guessing you assume that people who are have their children on these charities are crack heads?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but I have better things to do with my money than support crack heads.  If you want to waste yours supplementing their habits, then have at it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I was so disappointed when I went to Walmart to pick a child from the angel tree. Most of the cards asked for expensive toys and electronics. One of the cards actually said gold jewelry!!! I can't afford it so I didn't grab one. I decided to look up a charity that donates to children with cancer. If I am going to spend some money on children that aren't mine then I want to spend it on a child that can honestly use a good Christmas. I am buying the family a gift card for their dinner and a few toys for the child and some books and a pair of clothes. If I got a child from angel tree then I would spend the same amount of money in only 1 gift.
smushy79
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I have 3T clothes. Would those help you at all?

Quoting sadeyez11:

Yes i do. my oldest son is in 7-8 and my baby boy is in 18-24mnths

Quoting smushy79:

You have a boy right?? Looking at your profile pic, lol. What size does he wear?

Quoting sadeyez11:

Honestly i wouldnt mind grntly used clothes and toys for my kids. they are not getting anything so even a used toy would brighten their christmas

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM
The Angel Tree where I live only allows one requested item, so IMO if you should either buy it or pick a different tag. That doesn't mean the child or parents will be ungrateful or anything, but that's the item the child wants more than anything. I always get my own child at least one thing he asked specifically for. With Angel Tree kids, that may be the only presents the child receives and I believe every child should get at least one thing they ask for (not in an entitled way, in a Christmas is magical way).

Quoting mommy1008:

Ok I have a question since u seem to know all the proper etiquette. My dd picked two names off the tree and the ones she chose she did so because it was the same name as her and her sister. Anyways, one girl asked for an easy bake oven or a gymnastics Dora...both of which I can't afford. So is it ok if I get another age appropriate toy? I just wasn planning on spending $40/$60 on on ONE toy...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I agree. I have no issue buying clothes at a consignment store but the things we bought for the Angel Tree are new. And although my son has a bunch of toys to donate, they are going to Goodwill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM
I would PREFER used items.
jojo827
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM
My EX husband is no longer a part of our lives. And unfortunately I've had a rough year, even a couple deaths in the family. Just because I need angel tree for 2 years in a row it does not mean I will use it my whole life

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jojo827:

I guess you didn't know that Christmas comes around the same time every year. You planning on signing up for the Angel Tree every year while your loser husband is in jail?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadeyez11
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM
It might fit the baby. if not now by february. thank you. thats super sweet of you

Quoting smushy79:

I have 3T clothes. Would those help you at all?

Quoting sadeyez11:

Yes i do. my oldest son is in 7-8 and my baby boy is in 18-24mnths

Quoting smushy79:

You have a boy right?? Looking at your profile pic, lol. What size does he wear?

Quoting sadeyez11:

Honestly i wouldnt mind grntly used clothes and toys for my kids. they are not getting anything so even a used toy would brighten their christmas

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
So instead say no you can't ask for what you would love to have mommy doesn't want to work. Or buy a $5 used game? Poor kids don't have poor tastes they want the same things any other child would want.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It pisses me off when people complain "this kid wanted an xbox on an angel tree!" do you think kids who's parents can't afford to have children have different wants that any other kid? Selfish bastards have a damn heart.

I think writing down expensive wants when you're asking for shit for your kids is tacky and rude. Yeah your kiud wants an Xbox, so you're poor and how are you going to get games and such. Tell your kid no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN