Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ladies if you can only afford to give used toys or clothes to the Angel Tree..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Don't bother. Just don't take a tag, it's that simple. Angel tree/TFT are for people to give new toys or clothes to children who may not get much on Christmas morning. They do not want you old, worn out clothes and raggedy stuffed animals. 

EDIT: I do not (and never did) have to use Angel tree ot TFT.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Thank you again for reminding me.  My oldest used to volunteer there after school when she could fit it into her schedule.  I feel bad for not thinking of them myself. 

Quoting wkukid:

You can go and pick up a list of things they need. We donate 100 dollars worth of items and donate a 150 dollar check every year.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree.  You know when I get home (I'm out of town) I'm going to Wally World with my kids and buying a couple of nice pet beds and doggie/cat toys for the shelter.  I think I'll call them now and see if there's anything else they need.  THanks for the idea! :)

Quoting wkukid:

You know what, I was gonna do angel tree this year instead of donating to the humane society. But I now think the animals deserve charity more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Exactly! 5 years ago, we were upper middle class. We had a nice car and home and great savings. Then, my husbands company went bankrupt and he lost his job. The ONLY job he could find was minimum wage. I got sick. Our saving dwindled very fast because of it. We no longer own a home, or a car, we live hand to mouth. We BARELY make it every month. You NEVER know what could happen.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Beggars can't be choosers, in other words...yes?

Never say never. IE...you never know when one day you might be in their position for whatever the reason might be and then hopefully, you'll find your compassion and understanding.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET! New toys are for my kids and if I have enough money I'll give what I can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Who says I haven't been? And when I was I was grateful for whatever I got. If people don't like what their kids get, maybe they need to go and dance in the buses, trains, sidewalk, roads or whatever they have in their town until they earn enough money to buy the kind of toys they think their kids should have. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Beggars can't be choosers, in other words...yes?

Never say never. IE...you never know when one day you might be in their position for whatever the reason might be and then hopefully, you'll find your compassion and understanding.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, if you're begging ,you have no right to sit there be choosy. BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER YOU GET! New toys are for my kids and if I have enough money I'll give what I can.

Jalestra
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, that's just tacky. I don't donate to goodwill at all. Instead I donate our good "old" stuff to Purple Heart. 

If I take an angel tag it's going to be new stuff. Those kids aren't there for me to pawn stuff off on, it's for me to make Christmas special for another child. If I can't afford the object they want, I'll get something similar. The one time I was an angel as a child some wonderful family got me a ton of beautiful clothes, including a new winter jacket (I now realize they went beyond the call of duty) and I was so grateful and felt so special. I want to make another child feel like I did when I was that child. It's also my private thank you to that family. I won't cheapen it with used goods.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Really?? They shouldn't sign up then. They are getting FREE shit....they should be picky?? A toy is a toy. A child doesn't care if it's used.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM
My mom just told me that my aunt used to sign her kids up for it, then they would every year go to Christmas at my grandmas house and all of us kids would get garbage bag full of gifts. Im sure she qualified for it income wise but she really didn't need the service

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't figure out why anyone would even bother with the angel tree in the first place.  Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

Operation Christmas Child.  Google it.  It's a legitimate charity that gives to those who really appreciate it.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

My kids have gotten used things for Christmas, from us, not from a charity and they were thrilled to death! I guess that's what happens when you teach your kids to be thankful for whatever they get.

Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

No, actually they don't. Both my husband and myself have worked at our town's Angel Tree for many years and Dh has worked in the SA warehouse, as well, putting the bags together for the kids.

The toys and clothing go directly to the children that the tags are for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you all NOT FIGURED OUT YET that those people are just losers or scammers?  They just return your shit for money anyway. 

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM
What happens is that kid that the ratty used toy attached to his tag doesn't get anything whereas of you leave the tag on the tree, someone who can afford to buy that item will. Nobody expects anyone to give that can't.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Well that means fewer kids get stuff.

The selfishness of people is unreal

Quoting azpreemiemom:

If you don't have it, then don't give it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bcuz2pplfelnlv
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM
a child will not care or even notice something so trivial. get over yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)