Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

yay!....... for being poor....

Posted by   + Show Post

So this year since we didn't have enough money to buy our twins their "second christmas ornaments", I tried to make them. Now, I'm not martha stewart, but I'm okay with how they turned out!

Just a cup of four, half cup of salt and half cup of water! and cookie cutters. and baked them at 250 for two hours!

Maybe even something your could do with your children!!

-Melissa Juliet
vote for my blog pretty please! just click on " the best mom blogs" picture and your golden!
Thank you!
www.MePlusYouAndTWO.com

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Allebas
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM

This is what I remind myself  when we buy toys for our kids. We don't buy them a 'ton' of toys. I mean yes--they do get toys, but we don't go 'overboard' like some parents!! I've heard of parents spending $500-$1,000 per child for toys! I'm like REALLY? You want your kids to think Christmas is all about getting LOTS of new toys? Sorry--I am raising my kids to realize you do get some toys, but that remembering the reason 'why' we celebrate Christmas will always be way more important than the toys.

Quoting MJuliet:

I'm not sure why this made me cry, but im crying! Thank you, I needed to remember this!

Quoting Allebas:

AWW!! Those are ADORABLE!! You did a great job!! Remember--it isnt the material things that should matter at Christmas, its being with your loved ones and remembering the reason for the season. ( :  I hope things get better for you guys!! Hang in there!! {{HUGS!!}}

CrystalPystol
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Great job! They are cute!!!

mattiehatter
by Mary on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I am going to make some ornaments this year for coworkers with the same recipe. I am going to add a bit of ground clove, cinnamon and nutmeg as well so that they smell good.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
This is an example of things people used to do that made the holiday magical. It's not about money or gifts. Your kids will treasure these when they are older. Good job mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I really like those! I wish I was crafty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM
Please remember that not everyone who spends a lot of money or buys a lot of toys don't only focus on the gifting part of the holiday. Some just enjoy doing it.

Quoting Allebas:

This is what I remind myself  when we buy toys for our kids. We don't buy them a 'ton' of toys. I mean yes--they do get toys, but we don't go 'overboard' like some parents!! I've heard of parents spending $500-$1,000 per child for toys! I'm like REALLY? You want your kids to think Christmas is all about getting LOTS of new toys? Sorry--I am raising my kids to realize you do get some toys, but that remembering the reason 'why' we celebrate Christmas will always be way more important than the toys.

Quoting MJuliet:

I'm not sure why this made me cry, but im crying! Thank you, I needed to remember this!

Quoting Allebas:

AWW!! Those are ADORABLE!! You did a great job!! Remember--it isnt the material things that should matter at Christmas, its being with your loved ones and remembering the reason for the season. ( :  I hope things get better for you guys!! Hang in there!! {{HUGS!!}}

bella.jaes.mama
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM

My dughter is only one but acts like shes five lol I would love to do this to since were poor right now also! your not the only one, so don't worry at least your tying! be a proud mom! remember theres way worse out there some people and there kids wont even hve ahome to stay in for christmas :( its really sad to think that way but thats why the thought of just being together in a hme with the family is such a blessing! cus some dont evn have that :(

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Those are cute.

Here are some sites for other homemade ornaments:

www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/christmas-crafts/easy-to-make-christmas-ornament-crafts#slide-1

www.bhg.com/christmas/ornaments/

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Yep! My mom made me an ornament and bought one each year.

She has all the ones she bought, I have all the ones she made. I dont even celebrate christmas, it just shows she cared. :)

Quoting angie729:

And you know what...when they grow up those ornaments you made will be the ones they treasure the most!!

pinkcookie019
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM

They are so cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)