Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No Lunch/No Recess...is that legal and can they do that!?

Poll

Question: Has your child's school ever taken away lunch from them?

Options:

Yes and I'm ok with this

Yes and I wasn't ok with it

No they're just bluffing.

Other..explain in the post please

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 155

View Results

My 5th grader returned home from school highly concerned about something and I can't sleep over this as well. He was told that due to misbehavior in assembly that his ENTIRE fifth grade class will not be given lunch or recess.

I thought at first he was trying to get out of going to school, but then he said he wanted to go to school but hated to be hungry. I'm diabetic and I watch him carefully. He shows some signs of hypoglycemia here and there and I'm very concerned.

Do you think they're bullshitting him? Is this legal? Should I call the school tomorrow morning? I told my son I'd send him anyway but that if he was denied food to demand to call home.

Your thoughts please?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:53 AM

I plan on it. :( Very concerned. 

Quoting AF2011:

My ass would be in that office tomorrow morning! 

Quoting divinedimension:

They have two things...lunch and then recess. That's it. He said they are taking away both.

Quoting AF2011:

They can't take away the kids lunch! I understand recess but there's no way they can take away lunch. Maybe they meant the recess they get at lunch

LivysMama
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I'm pretty sure they can't legally take away lunch. I'd call the school and double check just to be safe though.

RLT2
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Quoting divinedimension:

I think I'm going to call the school office in the morning after I drop them off. If they say this is happening, I'm going to go pick him up for lunch!

Quoting RLT2:

Quoting divinedimension:

I hope you're right. I'm really worried. My son gets really funky when he doesn't eat. One time he almost fainted.

Quoting RLT2:

They can't do that-recess maybe, but no fucking way can they take away lunch.

I can't even imagine that they're allowed to threaten to take away food from kids? kwim? That's just nuts!

Yeah, time to make some calls. Especially, if they really plan on doing that. No way that is legal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Bring in taco bell for him
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM

If they did that I'd report them to the state as the school is provided lunch for the students for the purposed of being fed DAILY. I'd also report them to the media and I'd be gathering signatures from other parents to file a civil suit against the school.

Arabellas_Mommy
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM
This is what I was thinking as well. One time in elementary school a group of boys from my class got into a fight with another group of boys from another class. The priciple took away recess and lunch recess from us. We had to eat lunch in the classroom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe they ment no lunch recess and he misunderstood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I'd get verification and call a news station. That is NOT legal

Mommytorn
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM
They may just mean they don't get to eat in the cafeteria together..my school had lunch "taken away" one time we all had to eat lunch in our classrooms at our desks and we weren't allowed to talk to others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarlaHood
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM

They have to allow them to eat, but they do not have to give them a normal lunch period with recess.  They could keep them in, but let them eat their lunches and take restroom break if needed.

It's not really a brilliant idea to take away their time to run and expend some energy, but I don't know what the kids did.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Maybe they meant lunch in the cafeteria. When I was in school and we misbehaved they took away lunch, meaning in the cafeteria so they made us sit in the Classroom and brought our lunch trays to us at our desk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN