Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my career path stupid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies

My last english class was yesterday. And I was so sad. Reading & writing are passions of mine. But I'm going into nursing, for the stability, money, and I know I can do that & could also find joy in it...depending on what field I'm in. Part of me thinks that when my kids are grown and we could afford for me to do something I enjoy, I'll go into writing. I can't help but wonder if it's a stupid idea to do nursing when I love writing so much. My teacher yesterday said, 'For some of you, this may be your last english class'.  I wanted to cry.

Do you think I'm making a horrible decision? Or the right one for me & my family?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TommyAbby
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

You can always write on the side..Just because you are a nurse, doesn't mean you have to give it up. It just won't be the way you pay bills or survive. 

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd do the nursing and take extra English classes for fun or find a club or a friend who enjoys literature as much as you do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

that's a good idea-I just keep thinking about how everyone says choose a career you're passionate about. I'm picking a career for the money & relative stability.

Quoting MistyMoo:

I'd do the nursing and take extra English classes for fun or find a club or a friend who enjoys literature as much as you do

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM

that's something to think about. when I have the time, and the kids are older, I could write on the side & still make those bucks with the nursing gig. thanks!

Quoting TommyAbby:

You can always write on the side..Just because you are a nurse, doesn't mean you have to give it up. It just won't be the way you pay bills or survive. 

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
In the nursing field you will meet and see all kinds of different people and have a lot of new experiences. Just think of all of the inspiration you will have for your writing! There's no need to choose one or the other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM
I understand. I did the PSW (pretty sure the equivalant in the atates would be a CNA, not too sure though) course because it was fast and I didn't know what I wanted to do, but its money and it supports our family, so I can't complain.

Quoting Anonymous:

that's a good idea-I just keep thinking about how everyone says choose a career you're passionate about. I'm picking a career for the money & relative stability.

Quoting MistyMoo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

aww thank you! I went anon to avoid bashers, but I'm thinking I didn't need to. Oh well. I think I keep second guessing myself b/c I'm taking school real slowly, til all the kids are in school. I enjoy being a SAHM for them, and we don't have the babysitters available for me to take more classes anyway. Family & friends keep telling me the nursing field sucks...but I think it'll be an alright fit for me.

Quoting brysonsmommy_10:

In the nursing field you will meet and see all kinds of different people and have a lot of new experiences. Just think of all of the inspiration you will have for your writing! There's no need to choose one or the other.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Quoting TommyAbby:

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I'm doing the same thing. I've wanted to be a Journalist my whole life but that field is so hard to break into. Maybe someday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Stick with nursing for now. Writing isn't going to pay the bills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN