Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I pissed over nothing?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

DD is in Kindergarten. Yesterday at recess she was pushed (not bullied, but by friends) down a slide. She tumbled down it, and landed on her neck. She was sent to the nurse for who knows how long (she's 5, so she doesn't know how to read time yet). She said she was in a lot of pain.

I didn't get a note home, or a phone call, or anything. Shouldn't they have let me know if my daughter fell on her neck?

DS broke his arm in school a few weeks ago, maybe they don't want to risk a liability with another one of my kids getting hurt on their watch? Idk, but I think it's pretty f'd up that I hear about my DD's neck injury (minor or not) from HER and not her teacher...

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
MooreBoysMama
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
DS5 fell off the monkey bars last week and landed on his back. He was taken to the nurse. After they found out he was fine, the nurse called to let me know and his kindergarten teacher told me at pick up.

They should have called you or let you know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

That's kind of what I thought. But DS has to visit the nurse every so often because of his arm and cast, and saw her in there... She had an ice pack too.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

Are you she didn't embellish what happened? Surely the school wouldn't ignore a possible neck injury. My kids embellish things often.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I'd be calling to speak to the nurse and ask why she didn't think it was important to call.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Anything in the head and neck area gets an immediate call home. I assumed this was standard across the board and think your school should have done this. Even if they felt he was fine, you should have been notified immediately so that you could determine if you wanted him to be seen by a doctor, or if you wanted him to come home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

That's true. That's kinda what I thought. When I was in school I don't remember them sending home notes every time, but I couldn't really remember. DS isn't usually bothered by stuff like that, but even he is pissed, so I was totally confused.

Quoting beerabitch69:

I guess if she was ok they didn't think a note was needed.
I mean kids get hurt all the time. That's what the nurse is there for.

nikkik526
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quoting frzmamaof4:

Quoting aiyess:

They should have called you or wrote a note or the teacher should have spoken to you at dismissal. I would be pissed too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2twins82
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
This. I would also ask how long she was in there, her pain level, did she have difficulty turning her head, etc.
Something similar happened to my DD7. I told the nurse, principal and super if my children come in for any reason, I am to be called.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be calling to speak to the nurse and ask why she didn't think it was important to call.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Exactly. I mean, what if she didn't tell me and woke up this morning unable to move her neck or something? I'd have no idea what was wrong with her, and what if I helped her turn it (thinking she slept on it wrong) and caused more damage because I didn't know... Necks and heads scare me.

Quoting mom2twins82:

This. I would also ask how long she was in there, her pain level, did she have difficulty turning her head, etc.
Something similar happened to my DD7. I told the nurse, principal and super if my children come in for any reason, I am to be called.

Quoting Anonymous:

smushy79
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Yes, anytime your child goes to the nurse you should get a call home.

amyleigh80
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

You should have def had to sign off on an incident report.  For instance, the other day my daughter tripped in school and when she did someone accidentally stepped on her hand.  She had to get ice and it hurt but it was nothing.  When I picked her up they explained to me what happened and should me the incident report and what was done and when it took place.  At the very LEAST they should have done that for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)