Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Enough about your broke Christmas!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
10 moms liked this

I totally understand being broke and all pissy because Christmas is going to SUCK for you and your family, but WTF?! You KNOW Christmas is coming, EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Why are you not taking the efforts to save $10-$20 a week, or bi-weekly?  Seriously! I'm sure you've ate fast food, or bought a pack of smokes/case of beer, come on!!

Just a reminder: Christmas is December 25th. It's not going anywhere. You should totally learn to budget your money, and save for a Christmas fund if you're SO worried about it.

Rant over, continue on.

Response from illinoismommy83:
"This is the US. If a mom has gone 3 days without eating it is likely due from her lack of effort to provide food. I have yet to find a US city that does not have a church within 10 miles that someone could not walk to.

Don't most parents have a stroller/wagon/backpack/something that they could use to carry food home from a church pantry in? I mean, you either have a small child and a stroller or a school age child with a backpack.

And with the exception of hurricane and fire and other natural disasters, what stops these people from buying things all year long and hiding it in their closet? As stated in the OP, this action of buying and stashing could be done instead of McDonalds and beer.

If our house burnt down tomorrow and we had NOTHING at all, I'd borrow my neighbors phone or a store phone or a church phone and contact my insurance company and AFLAC and I know that at the bare minimum AFLAC would have us back on our feet and with presents under the tree by Christmas. 

I
guess I "don't get it" and I HAVE been there. I have been poor as dirt before. I have worked for $20 a day under the table simply working for neighbors because I was desperate for money and would take any job I could find. I have been out there in the heat shovling my neighbor's dog shit for them to make sure my electric stayed on. I am a planner. My JOB as a mom is to make sure my children are provided for. This is why I pay for supplemental insurance. This is why I keep good records in our safety deposit box so if something did happen I wouldn't have many hoops to jump through to replace everything.

I would gladly walk up hill both ways in a snow storm to the church 10 miles away if that is what it took to put food on my kids plate. 9 years ago when I was married to my first husband I did go to a food bank in tears because I could not make ends meet. I felt SO ashamed, but I wasn't going to simply wallow in my own self pity. I had mouths to feed! My family come before my pride. DH laughs at me because we are comfortably middle class but I am still very frugal and thrifty. I don't waste because I don't WANT to go without. I have no shame in pulling out coupons and giving a cashier exact change.

So boo hoo, life is hard. That is why we get off our asses and proactively do something about it. That is why we plan for the future. That is why we budget in insurance (health, home, life, etc) as a necessity ranked up there with heat and food. That way if shit happens we aren't scraping shit up out of the neighbors yard in desperation."

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I hear ya! These people had a year to prepare.

kjbennett26
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I agree!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TDausman
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Yup. I used the fifth paycheck from November to pay for most of pur Christmas! The last few things I need I will buy over the next couple weeks instead of going out for lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sadie_J_0202
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Because unexpected things happen. Even if they're good things, they can totally mess a person up. 

How about a new rant?

"Why do people continue to judge people based off of what they percieve to be the truth?! Gah, so old, so unoriginal!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I agree.

Birthdays come once a year on the same date, too.  I am not sure why people can't remember that :)

Megan11587
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Unexpected expenses do come up.  Not everyone makes enough money to plan for Christmas and unexpected expenses.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol. I think this xmas is gonna be one if the best.. I can't wait for them to open their gifts because some of the things they wanted, I told them you're crazy if you think you are getting that ....but I actually did get them that! so it's so exciting..but I can't even talk about it on here because so many people talk about not being able to afford anything, so if i did id be bragging or ridiculous.. Bleh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
There's this thing called "shit happens".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

And for people that don't do the things listed? What about the people who are barely making it pay check to pay check? We don't drink or smoke. We rarely have fast food and if we do... usually someone else has paid for it because we don't have the money for it. The odd time we have paid for it would add up to less than $20 in a year. Check your generalizations at the door. Not everyone has even 5 or 10 dollars a week to put away. If we do.... we cheer and put it in the gas tank! PHEW an extra day before we are watching that E!

Livigirlsmom322
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Every January almost every bank offers a Christmas Club why people don't join that is crazy to me.  You pay a little each check and at the end of Oct they bank sends you a check for what you paid in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)