Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you are, or ever have been, a retail cashier....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
How the hell do you get through the day without being sore?? I just got hired as a part-time cashier at a retail chain. After my 4 hour shift, I thought I was going die. My back and feet were killing me. I have had other jobs where I spend 8 hours of my feet with no problems, but atleast those jobs allowed me to move. Standing in one place is killing me.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momtimestwo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Wear supportive shoes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Sperry's I am a manager at Gymboree and I am on my feet 9 hours a day. Sperry's are my life saver.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Stretch them constantly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Honestly you could put those inserts in your shoes, but they dont really help. Just get some comfy shoes and wait. You will get used to it. I thought I was going to die my first shift, after a few months I was working 14 straight hours not feeling a thing.

lilmacmama20
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Advil lots of it lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ARmomOf3
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

you do eventually get used to it, even if it's months later. in the beginning my feet would hurt after a couple hours, but over time they wouldn't start hurting until just before i went home. supportive shoes and taking breaks helps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM
You suck it up.

Buy comfy shoes.

..and move as much as possible.

You cant tell me for one second that you have to just stand there.

And your entirr shift you are behimd the register.

You have down times....which means you need to be at the end of your lane, promoting customers who are ready to be checked out, and cleaning up your isle and keeping it clean.

I would stand there and organize my money, and then fixrd any magazines, and csndy, etc in my lane....I always had the cleaniest.
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I worked at a grocery store for over 5 yrs.  I swear those long shifts is what ruined my back.  Standing on concrete in one place for up to 10 hrs a day sucked.  Yea, you got a lunch break but it often got shorted to 30 minutes and you rarely could ever close long enough to use the bathroom or get a sip of water (during the holiday seasons).  I used to take lots of otc meds to help get through it.

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Move around in your spot. Bring a cushioned mat from home. Your body will get used to it, just give it time.

jean_marie1987
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

You have to stretch or move in place or something - otherwise you'll have the same problems everyday.

During your breaks make sure you stretch. If you get to go to your car, take your shoes off for a bit and rest your feet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)