Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you go to the ER for this PIC

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
  • 288 Replies

DS who will be one in 3 days. He fell and hit his head on the fire place.

The bleeding is under control and he is acting fine.

DH insisted we go. I don't think they will do anything we can't do at home. DH thinks if we go he will have less of a scar.

I think going will just cause me a giant headache becuase the kids HATE having to wait in the ER. And he's working so I will have to go by myself.

I don't think it classifies as an emergency.

What do you think?

Btw we have already decided. Just wanted to get others opinions.

Edit/update:

I wrote this as I was sitting in the ER and had been there an hour. We were there nearly 3 hours.

For those that said urgent care, I stated in one of the replies that the closest urgent care is 45 miles away.

I did call our pediatrician and he said "use your best judgement." He also said that going might reduce scaring.

The 3 hours we spent in the ER was mostly in the waiting room. They only used dermabond (medical grade super glue) and steri strips. Pretty much we went for nothing. They didn't do a CT or anything like that because he wasn't showing signs of major trama. I didn't figure they would.

Oh well I went to pacify my husband and for peace of mind. But let me tell you DS fussed and cried more in the waiting room of the ER than he did when he hit his head. Not because he was in pain, but because he was mad that I wouldn't let him down and play. I kept him either in my lap or the stroller. We also kept our distance from others. I really hope we don't get sick from all of this.

We have done really well this year and so far we haven't had any major illnesses.

I'm also glad it's the end of the year and we have met our deductible. If I thought we were going to end up with a $500 ER bill, we probably wouldn't have gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
504bbymami
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM
7 moms liked this
I would because it's a head injury. Rather be safe than sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haunted.mommy
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM

YES!

Hope he is ok with your lack of smart parenting.

Sparklee.com - http://www.sparklee.com

momof2girls89
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM
8 moms liked this

Not unless he started to show signs of a concussion. It doesn't look deep enough for stiches

cassi_d_m
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM
No lol but then I don't go unless we are pretty much dying...

It doesn't even look like it needs stitches. You could always glue it together :-P
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cupcake_mom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

if he isnt bleeding anymore and seems fine i wouldnt go. i would put ointment and a bandaid on it and watch him for signs of concussion for the next few hours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

My boys have had worse and I never took them. You just have to watch them. Looks for signs of dizziness, confusion, don't let them sleep for at least 2-3 hours.

Anonymous

If he doesn't look/say he's in pain, and it's not bleeding, I would just clean it up and stick a band-aid on it. No need to go to the ER for something you can handle.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

No, I wouldn't go.  Doesn't need stiches, so ice and tylenol is all I'd do.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Urgent care would be more appropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
2 moms liked this

because its his face and hes so young- yes i prolly would take him to urgent care or something. they dont nessasarily have to stitch it but they could glue it so it will heal better. otherwise hell prolly have a nice scar. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)