Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 275 Replies
3 moms liked this

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
11 moms liked this

Oh, I absolutely believe in it. I've seen enough medical evidence, including comparitive scans that show a clear difference between normal and ADHD/ADD.

That being said, I do believe some cases are caused by diet, stimulation from electronics, poor sleeping habits, and a lack of physical activity.

There are cases, though, that are genetic. If a change in diet and lifestyle does not work, medication is wonderful. It helps the child focus and reach his/her true potential in school.

Most ADHD medications are stimulants. If given to a normal, but hyper, child, they would only make that child MORE hyper. However, since the brains of ADHD children are "wired" differently, so to speak, it calms them.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't believe in medicating children for stuff like that. 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM
It is very real. I had been suspecting it in my oldest for months now. We made all the appropriate changes at school yet we still had limited progress. So we went to the doctor and she said he is textbook ADHD. We decided to medicate since his diet is great and we already did the behavior modifications. He is so much calmer now. He even notices it. He reminds me of his pill if I forget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Being one who has ADD, yes I believe it's real. Do I think so many should be medicated? Probably not, but I can say from experience, for those with ADD, Meds can make a HUGE difference for the better when done properly.
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Yes, I do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm torn. I believe that there are legitimate issues regarding children, and "add" and "adhd" behavioral patterns do exist.

BUT, nowadays, it seems that if a kid pushes boundries or act out out of boredom they are diagnosed with a behavioural disorder.

its the legitamate issues vs. overdiagnosing issues debate. some kids I feel could use a spank and others, I believe that there are issues. it seems that whenever a doctor diagnoses a child they don't ask about how the parents discipline and what the structure of hte household is etc to get a complete idea of what may cause the problem. the dr. just asks what does the child do?

kris1stbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

My SD is extremely ADHD and she is horrible without her meds. She is 11 and started the meds at 9. She had an awesome diet and got exercise everyday, had a set schedule and non of it helped. When she was put on meds she even told us she was happy she got them because now she could think like a normal person.

ETA: she wasn't just diagnosed in a few days, her dr worked with the school and the child psychologist to determine if she did have it and after about 8-9months they finally had a diagnosis of ADHD.

ripemango
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

and in the Adderall, Ritalin, and Wellbutrin. Amen.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Aubs1990
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have ADD so yeah.

do11face
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)