Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I definitely believe in it. Not in all cases though, ADHD is overly diagnosed. My 6 year old is ADHD and we tried everything we could to not put him on medicine. We finally did and the difference is amazing! He still has a few issues, but those are not related to the ADHD. 

bondgirl11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
My dd has a very high level of ADHD and has had it from birth. When she was a toddler she was so active I literally had to hold her still so she could relize she was sleepy or she would go non stopped and just fall out where she was sleeping. She was held back in the 1st grade because she was unable to be still, concentrate or have one thought for more than a few moments. Her life without medication is like someone hit the fast forward button on her brain, she can't even finish a sentence completely, just fragments of words and phrases.On meds she is a totally normal, goal achieving, straight A student. Yes it's real
beerabitch69
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Yep. I live it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM
LOL. Well, it's an actual thing for a reason.
Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Yes, I REALLY do believe that it is real. I also believe that people who automatically want to call it an excuse for something haven't got the first clue.

Tigger11681
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I belive in add/adhd becaus I have adult add and my son and his father have adhd. me and my son are not on any meds for it but my sons father is I have seen how he is on and off meds... I will not put my son on the meds I have seen too many people on them and do notheing but sitting on ther butts acting like zobies... yes my son has to be told to get back on task over and over but he is very active and I dont want him to lose that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I'm an adult, and do not eat any of the things you described and I struggle with add. So yes, it is very real.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailalaila
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

my 14 yr old is ADHD. he was diagnosed at 3 yrs old. I did not medicate until he was 11. I took away anything that had sugar that I knew would get him hyper. I make sure he knows that in my house there are rules and we also have boundaries. he has consequences to his bad actions and rewards for his good actions.

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I believe it is waaaay overdiagonosed.  Sometimes the child needs a smack and some good parenting.  Now ladies, I never said t didn't happen and I'm not saying all parents lack skills in discipline.  But it is a scapegoat diagonosis for bad behaviour.  On the other side, I have worked with children who were add and adhd and you can tell a huge difference.

swmmra
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

yes, I believe in it. But I also believe that you need to change your child's diet, and the consequences to actions before trying prescribed meds. Because, I agree, lots of kids are eating very poor, sugar laden diets and there are some that do not have a true grasp on how actions create consequences. However, once those things have been tried, medications can help, and can help a lot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)