Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (231-240):
Hello_kimmy
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, I don't believe in it.

Adored45
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I totally agree with you...people are crazy not to study these issues on their own....we don't deal with mental illness...period...this country is making bank on all the drugs. That's why they "practice" medicine...

hippiemom45
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:02 AM

yep I believe in it.   :)  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Yes I do believe in it.  I think there are some who use it as a crutch but it's real.

mommyinindiana
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM
Yes i do believe its real. i also believe that kids are over medicated in this day and age. in my sons case we explored every option before we decide to medicate him and now he takes a low dose of adderal xr and his school work has made a 200% improvement and he has caught up to his peers with reading and math!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NBean311
by Chivette on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but I also believe it's way over diagnosed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM
No
MommyChristina1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:28 AM
I don't understand how someone can just be like "I don't believe in" a medical diagnosis, lol.

I don't believe in cancer, it's an over diagnosed hoax by doctors and insurance companies.

See how ridiculous that sounds?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armywife13143
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM

I have add, my dh has adhd our kids have adhd. We are all on a no sugar diet. We have a very strict household. Growing up with it was hell my mom thought like you do. I wasnt medicated till i was 16 I struggled in school forever. I still struggle now. Its hard. I do pray you dont have a child with add/adhd you will lose your mind. Especially since you dont have experiences with them.

Tigger11681
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:25 AM

some people get hyper off sugar and need a Amphetamine Stimulants like Adderall and some it calms them down and they will need Methylphenidate  Stimulants like Ritalin  I know they would put my son on some kind of Amphetamine Stimulant becaus he get hyper off of any kind of sugar... as to were I have sugar and I will calm down but like I said before my son and I are not medicated but my son's father needs his meds. 

Quoting TexasWife:

I thought sugar had the opposite effect. Maybe it is in my son. Coffee, soda, and candy can calm him down.

Single Mom of 3 wonderful kids
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)