Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (241-250):
Megan11587
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM
I do believe it, however, I also believe its over diagnosed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM
2 moms liked this

with all the toxins being pumped into our children at an alarming rate, yes, changes are possible in the child, resulting in these maladies.  It isn't just an excuse any more...kids are suffering due to poor choices made by the parents.  

beeky
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I have ADHD and so does my daughter.  Neither of us are medicated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:35 AM
Yes, I think add/adhd truly exists. My daughter has moderate/severe adhd. In our case, its heredity. My brother has add, and her father and his sister have adhd and bipolar disorder. My daughter also has a sensory processing disorder.

I didn't want to medicate at first. I changed her diet. She doesn't get any sugar to begin with because even the tiniest bit makes her absolutely nuts. But I cut out gluten, red dyes and yellow dyes, processed foods, msg. It didn't help at all. She gets daily exercise, and has always been on a routine and sleep schedule. But she's never ever been a good sleeper.

She started meds 6 months ago. She is on a very small dose and her doctor is still trying to find what dose works for her. But I have noticed a change even from the small dose. She can actually sit still and focus on things! Not to mention she's doing so much better in school!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Oh its real. We believe our son has it. I limit candy but he does have caffeinated soda regularly because the caffeine actually helps him. He is not obviously not medicated but we will soon be going through the process of getting him diagnosed.
Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Lol... Ok then...

Umm - yes it exists. Your "generalizations" are laughable.

(And no, I don't have a child with ADD or ADHD).

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Yes, I have ADD. so I believe.

Coffee helps me focus. For ADHD it calms them down. I've never been medicated. I've learned to work with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:42 AM
I completely believe its real. Its been medically proven. Aside from that both myself and dd have add.

That said, I do believe its over diagnosed and people are too quick to medicate. I was medicated for it as a child and into adulthood. I refuse to medicate my dd, and no longer take any meds myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
travelbunny
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

ADD/ADHD is a proven diagnosis.  I DO agree with you however in that I think it is overly diagnosed. I'm curious as to why when I was a kid (I'm turning 26 in February) why there are suddenly so many kids with peanut allergies and mental illnesses coming to light today then when I was in school (graduated in 2006). 

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I'll let you take my 10 y/o that gets out of the bed bouncing off the walls. Then you ask if it is real. 

Ellen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)