Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (251-260):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I ABSOLUTELY do not believe its real!

What I believe is that like you said OP children with NO BOUNDARIES, then throw in not enough ACTUAL playtime OUTDOORS, so much TV being shoved into their little eyes.... In so may words I feel like the parents of this ADHD generation are "paci parents". Ones that pacify their children with BS (so they don't have to deal with them) and then wahlah.....everybody has ADD, ADHD, and my favorite crock of shit ODD! When IMO all these kids need is some time to run, jump, play and be OLD SCHOOL KIDS, and parents that take the time to set boundaries and be involved!

I'm an educator so this subject hits close to home for me.
rnmom4lif
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

i believe it is a true problem yes, but i also believe kids are seriously over diagnosed and that parents should try some of the things u mentioned before going straight to putting thier kids on meds......

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Yes I do since my oldest has it. ANd so because one family does that all families with ADHD kids do that? And kids aren't the only ones overmedicated, adults are too.

singlemama0905
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM
I do completely. As a kid and teen I struggled a lot but everyone chalked it up to my depression anxiety and behavioral issues. Actually got sent away when I was 16 until I graduated. Came home, same story all over pretty much. Had my son, struggled to keep my place clean and organized, was always losing everything I needed (keys phone etc). When I started back to college I realized it wasn't working and my therapist mentioned add/adhd. Met everything on the list...went to my psychiatrist I've worked with since I was 16 when I was home, she didn't even hesitate. Said she could see it and as a 22 yr old I finally for put on meds that are working for me...no antidepressants or nothing. Just Vyvanse and Adderall.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I also believe it is over diagnosed. Poor diets and horrible discipline are major reasons for a lot of the cases. I believe this is true of Asbergers in a lot of cases too. That said, I have a son with ASD and ADHD and another son with ADHD. I took parenting and health classes to help my children. We eat fresh farm butchered organic beef and hunted deer meat. Home grown veggies and self caught fish. We have the oldest medicated and going to a special school for his disorders. We are doing everything we can to teach our kids to function without the need of meds. It will be a long road. They do exist. A bit of kids actually have the chemical inbalance and trouble controlling their impulses and focus.
mom_3.0
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I believe in it. I dont have much experience with children who are on it, and not happy that children are given amphetamines, but I have a friend who has add/adhd. Her whole life her teachers would tell her mom that she had a deficit and her mom never believed in it. When she was 35 she finally decided that enough was enough and had to go through multiple dr visits, psych visits, etc. To get the diagnosis and medication. She definitely has it. She never was able to focus, her mind going a mile a minute from one subject to the next, never able to sit down. Its hard for kids to have it but its also really hard for an adult!

I dont believe in "Oppositional Defiance Disorder" to me that is a wad of bull shit!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Oh gosh:/ sounds like your between a hard place and a rock then. I'm sorry. I hope they get some kinda help!

Quoting landen1229:

They informed us that if we let the kids skip their meds then they would call child services on us because it is what they called medical neglect

Quoting mandy18192:

Eek they changed the dosage on me too thinking that would help but it did nothing:(

Everyone I know that has ever been on it hates it. I used I skip taking it on purpose sometimes bc I wanted to eat that day.

Quoting landen1229:

No, she says she is but all she does is change the dosage of the meds. I wish my husband their BF could do something but he has no say so in their medical stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is the BM concerned at all do you know?

Quoting landen1229:

Yea I know, I am hoestly afraid to touch them because I am worried I will beak thwm. Put it this way my 10yr old SS wieghs about 50lbs because of the meds they are on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ohh... :( that really sucks.

Quoting landen1229:

I have personally but it is my SK that are on it and I can't do anything to change their BM mind. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I was 11.....that's why I would do some research if I were you.

Quoting landen1229:

With adults it don't worry me as much but my skids are 8 and 10 and I am so worried that it is going to hurt them as they get older.

Quoting Anonymous:

My family eats very healthy and we were only to have sugar on special occasions and I have ADD.

Concerta I was on and it was awful. I lost tons of weight I went to 84 pounds in two months. I took me a while to gain it back if they are still on it I recommend taking them off it. It made me very moody and depressed at times.

They continued to put me on a higher dosage when I told them it was doing nothing to help me with my ADD which made it worse and overtime I developed an eating disorder that took me a LONG time to overcome.

They put me on Aderal another medication for ADD/ADHD and nothing good happend if anything I got worse.

Have their eating habits changed? I'm not trying to scare you but I think people need to know what the doctors WON'T tell you.

Quoting landen1229:

No  I don't believe it. They have a study that proves if children eat and drink alot of sugar that they will show signs of ADHA/ADD. My biggest thing is that I don't believe in the meds that they are given. Both my Skids are on Concerta and they have lost weight and won't gain any. Does anyone know the acutally long term side affct to all the meds the shove down these kids thorat??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM
My ODD, ADHD, ASD child with severe delays attacked two teachers, his aid, and students in his class at 6 years old. We were doing diet, behavior therapy, and our own parenting classes on how to parent difficult children. Two years of classes and 5 years of therapy. For the safety of the school people they wouldn't let him back in without medication. A year later he had a fit on the bus when we were trying to wean him from the high doses of medication. Want him as a child so you can make this descision?

Quoting Anonymous:

I ABSOLUTELY do not believe its real!

What I believe is that like you said OP children with NO BOUNDARIES, then throw in not enough ACTUAL playtime OUTDOORS, so much TV being shoved into their little eyes.... In so may words I feel like the parents of this ADHD generation are "paci parents". Ones that pacify their children with BS (so they don't have to deal with them) and then wahlah.....everybody has ADD, ADHD, and my favorite crock of shit ODD! When IMO all these kids need is some time to run, jump, play and be OLD SCHOOL KIDS, and parents that take the time to set boundaries and be involved!

I'm an educator so this subject hits close to home for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I agree with you that there is probably a lot who are prescribed it and dont need it.
my123sons
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I believe that many kids that "have" it are just really tired and undernourished, but have worked with kids who actually do have ADD or ADHD. So, yes it's real, but I feel that it is over diagnosed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN