Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (261-270):
cricketdawn81
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I do believe it's overly diagnosed.  However, yes, it is real.  My 7 yr old was recently diagnosed with ADHD-combined type, but we tried everything else first as we have suspected it since he was around 4 yrs old.  We tried no sugar, no dyes, different discipline and nothing worked.  It started affecting his school work so we sought help.  He's been on medication since Tuesday and there is a huge difference in him.  

ETA: My son eats proper meals, plays outside as much as can be, and watches limited tv.

brandie1470
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I have ADD. It went undiagnosed for 24 yrs. I am still not sure about anything to treat it. I try different things. I am not on meds. I got a letter from the school about a month ago. They think my son has it too. Supposedly ADD can be genetic :(

mamoore83
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Yes I do"believe" in it because I have it not the hyperactive kind. I also believe that it is way over diagnosed and over medicated. I also believe that it may be undiagnosed in people like me who have the inattentive part with out the hyperactivity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaballet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My dad has add, other family members on boh sides have it.  I would bet my life ds has it and I have it too.  I have to much experience actually having it to doubt it is real.

Quoting Cymbeline:

Oh, I absolutely believe in it. I've seen enough medical evidence, including comparitive scans that show a clear difference between normal and ADHD/ADD.

That being said, I do believe some cases are caused by diet, stimulation from electronics, poor sleeping habits, and a lack of physical activity.

There are cases, though, that are genetic. If a change in diet and lifestyle does not work, medication is wonderful. It helps the child focus and reach his/her true potential in school.

Most ADHD medications are stimulants. If given to a normal, but hyper, child, they would only make that child MORE hyper. However, since the brains of ADHD children are "wired" differently, so to speak, it calms them.

StrangeDays
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM
I agree with you to an extent. Yes, most children that are diagnosed with it are usually hopped up on sugar, etc. Yes, it is overly diagnosed. Yes, a lot of parents jump right on the pharmaceutical bandwagon and medicate their kids right away without trying other methods.

However, there are plenty of kids with a good diet, boundries, rules, etc that still suffer from some form of hyperactivity or ADD/ADHD. My son is 4, not diagnosed with any "issues," has an excellent diet for the most part, and is still an extremely wirey kid who has no patience and doesn't listen. But he's 4, I'm not about to say, "He MUST have ADD because he's super hyper, blah blah blah." If he doesn't mellow out within the next few years, yes, I will take him to get evaluated. But I will also look into less invasive methods than medication if it turns out he has some "disorder."

I believe in these disorders, but I also believe that they are being thrown around by "lazy" doctors when a difficult child is presented. There's absolutely no way the percentage of children with these problems is as high as they claim. People are just becoming less inclined to seek different opinions and different options for kids who aren't "normal."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

yes, My son and I are both ADD.    It has nothing to do with being hyper from sugar or caffiene.   Its hard to explain but if brains were file rooms. (you know rows of file cabinets with everything we have learned and done filed away nice and neat where we can pull the information out at will) well your file room would be nice neat but mine would look like it got blown up.  Thoughts and ideas all over the place.   Information mixed up.   Knowing something but not being able to find it.   Im older so I have learned to cope but it is hard on kids.    I do believe a lot of kids are just like you said tho over loaded on sugar and caffiene with no boundaries.    That just isnt the case in my house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Actually I would LOVE to have him.

I had a little boy in my class about 2 years ago who had been "diagnosed" with ODD and ADHD. I always found it amazing how the child we were "warned" about before he showed up and told about daily during drop off NEVER showed up in our classroom. Now don't get me wrong he had moments where he would test his limitations (especially in the beginning) but again, he's a child that's his JOB. BUT again, this child we heard soooo much about and his "disorders" NEVER made it into our classroom.

So yep I'd love to have him!

Quoting Anonymous:

My ODD, ADHD, ASD child with severe delays attacked two teachers, his aid, and students in his class at 6 years old. We were doing diet, behavior therapy, and our own parenting classes on how to parent difficult children. Two years of classes and 5 years of therapy. For the safety of the school people they wouldn't let him back in without medication. A year later he had a fit on the bus when we were trying to wean him from the high doses of medication. Want him as a child so you can make this descision?

Quoting Anonymous:

I ABSOLUTELY do not believe its real!

What I believe is that like you said OP children with NO BOUNDARIES, then throw in not enough ACTUAL playtime OUTDOORS, so much TV being shoved into their little eyes.... In so may words I feel like the parents of this ADHD generation are "paci parents". Ones that pacify their children with BS (so they don't have to deal with them) and then wahlah.....everybody has ADD, ADHD, and my favorite crock of shit ODD! When IMO all these kids need is some time to run, jump, play and be OLD SCHOOL KIDS, and parents that take the time to set boundaries and be involved!

I'm an educator so this subject hits close to home for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Awesome. I can use the break and so can his other caregivers and my other children. My other kids also push boundaries but he litterally rebels against the rules and when you go near him he bites, punches, scratches and kicks you. Once that starts his tantrum he attacks himself (nice bald spot where he recently melted down and pulled a bloody chunk of hair out.) He has banged his head until he was unconscious (brilliant ped psychologist said to ignore him in his tantrums and so we did. He didn't stop until he had bashed his forhead in and was knocked out cold.) When you go in to stop his self harming he attacks again (this was when the aid and teachers were injured.) One of his younger brothers has a perminant dent in his skull from my oldest throwing him into the corner of our entertainment center for coming close to his lined up cars. Like I said, my other 4 kids are not like this. They have tantrums and can be hyper, but he is out of control when not on his meds.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually I would LOVE to have him.

I had a little boy in my class about 2 years ago who had been "diagnosed" with ODD and ADHD. I always found it amazing how the child we were "warned" about before he showed up and told about daily during drop off NEVER showed up in our classroom. Now don't get me wrong he had moments where he would test his limitations (especially in the beginning) but again, he's a child that's his JOB. BUT again, this child we heard soooo much about and his "disorders" NEVER made it into our classroom.

So yep I'd love to have him!

Quoting Anonymous:

My ODD, ADHD, ASD child with severe delays attacked two teachers, his aid, and students in his class at 6 years old. We were doing diet, behavior therapy, and our own parenting classes on how to parent difficult children. Two years of classes and 5 years of therapy. For the safety of the school people they wouldn't let him back in without medication. A year later he had a fit on the bus when we were trying to wean him from the high doses of medication. Want him as a child so you can make this descision?

Quoting Anonymous:

I ABSOLUTELY do not believe its real!

What I believe is that like you said OP children with NO BOUNDARIES, then throw in not enough ACTUAL playtime OUTDOORS, so much TV being shoved into their little eyes.... In so may words I feel like the parents of this ADHD generation are "paci parents". Ones that pacify their children with BS (so they don't have to deal with them) and then wahlah.....everybody has ADD, ADHD, and my favorite crock of shit ODD! When IMO all these kids need is some time to run, jump, play and be OLD SCHOOL KIDS, and parents that take the time to set boundaries and be involved!

I'm an educator so this subject hits close to home for me.

landen1229
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Me too

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh gosh:/ sounds like your between a hard place and a rock then. I'm sorry. I hope they get some kinda help!

Quoting landen1229:

They informed us that if we let the kids skip their meds then they would call child services on us because it is what they called medical neglect

Quoting mandy18192:

Eek they changed the dosage on me too thinking that would help but it did nothing:(

Everyone I know that has ever been on it hates it. I used I skip taking it on purpose sometimes bc I wanted to eat that day.

Quoting landen1229:

No, she says she is but all she does is change the dosage of the meds. I wish my husband their BF could do something but he has no say so in their medical stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is the BM concerned at all do you know?

Quoting landen1229:

Yea I know, I am hoestly afraid to touch them because I am worried I will beak thwm. Put it this way my 10yr old SS wieghs about 50lbs because of the meds they are on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ohh... :( that really sucks.

Quoting landen1229:

I have personally but it is my SK that are on it and I can't do anything to change their BM mind. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I was 11.....that's why I would do some research if I were you.

Quoting landen1229:

With adults it don't worry me as much but my skids are 8 and 10 and I am so worried that it is going to hurt them as they get older.

Quoting Anonymous:

My family eats very healthy and we were only to have sugar on special occasions and I have ADD.

Concerta I was on and it was awful. I lost tons of weight I went to 84 pounds in two months. I took me a while to gain it back if they are still on it I recommend taking them off it. It made me very moody and depressed at times.

They continued to put me on a higher dosage when I told them it was doing nothing to help me with my ADD which made it worse and overtime I developed an eating disorder that took me a LONG time to overcome.

They put me on Aderal another medication for ADD/ADHD and nothing good happend if anything I got worse.

Have their eating habits changed? I'm not trying to scare you but I think people need to know what the doctors WON'T tell you.

Quoting landen1229:

No  I don't believe it. They have a study that proves if children eat and drink alot of sugar that they will show signs of ADHA/ADD. My biggest thing is that I don't believe in the meds that they are given. Both my Skids are on Concerta and they have lost weight and won't gain any. Does anyone know the acutally long term side affct to all the meds the shove down these kids thorat??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I was told my son is ADHD. What we do is put him in activities. Keep him active. I don't believe in medicating. Especially for something so easily remedied. Limit sugar, schedule wake and sleep healthy meals and discipline.

Exactly what we do!!! I was told by he is ADHD. So, I started doing all this. And now because he is in all sorts of activities, and discipline has changed, he is focusing more on his school work. Teacher asked if we medicated him, I said nope, we just became better parents. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)