Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
2girlsMom.MN
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

My daughter (11) really has it. She's not hyper at all. She can't focus, concentrate or accomplish most tasks without being told 100x. She's a great kid, very sweet, calm, loving. She's been on two different types of ADHD medication and Wow is their a difference. Her grades I just check online are sitting at (5) A's and (2) B's . 

I was diagnosed as a child and was put on ritalin. It helped me tons too. I am also not hyper and never had behavioral problems. 

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

My father and dh both have it, and so does ds1. As far as the diet is concerned, that is why my kids rarely eat sweets. They are also on gluten free diets because wheat allergies run in the family. We saw huge improv,ent in his behavior after switching to gluten free. When he does accidentally get something with wheat, that is when he has outbursts.

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM
That was one of the first things I cut out of my sons diet was sugar but ADHD isn't just a kid running around 24/7, he can't focus on his school work or even concentrate long enough to finish a board game and when he is trying to sit still his foot or hand is constantly going. I truly feel bad for him because one day he wasn't listening to do his homework and he said 'mom, I don't know why I can't listen but I just can't! God just made me this way' and it's deff not lack of going outside, in the summer he's running around outside from breakfast till bed and he plays sports in the winter, if only he could focus on the ball instead of the team playing next to them lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Lets see, my mom, two of my brothers and I were all diagnosed as adults with ADHD. My daughter and my youngest brother were the only two diagnosed as kids. Myself and dd are medicated, but no one else is. My youngest brother needs it more than he thinks and was told at his last job interview that he should probably look into getting back on meds before he tries to get another job. I'm sure in your fantasy world it's all about diet and all that good stuff, but in the real world, its genetic and needs to be addressed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Shelbypb
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Yea I know it is real my younger brother has it and I've seen how hard things are for him without his meds

Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums.
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
1likeme
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM
I did and continue to do all I can even with medication. My oldest is medicated but the decision was ultimately left to him. I viewed it like this, I am not the person who struggles every single day to accomplish the simplest of tasks. I am also not the person who will have to deal with the positive and negative effects of medication I am not taking. I had a long discussion with my son about possible side effects and asked him if medication was an option he wanted to try. He said yes and he has more input than I do and the decision is still up to him. I struggled with the decision to medicate him but ultimately it was the best possible choice for my child.
CadincesMom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I fully believe that ADD/ADHD are real...I also believe that many times doctors just really don't know what the child has, wether that is a poor diet or something else...in many cases the doctor only has the information from the parent and the school...if the parent tells the doctor that the child eats healthy and get regular play time to burn off excess energy then the doctor is going to have no choice but trust what the parent is telling them...I was diagnosed with ADD when I was in the 3rd grade and was medicated...after 6 months of taking the medication I would still feel strange so I took myself off of the medication...after that I had to teach myself how to study...I am now 28 and have not had any type of medication since I stopped as a child...there are many things that lead to a child having ADD/ADHD that can be controlled without medication...however I have a sister that has had to be on medication for ADD since she was 10 and she is now 24...medication works if the ADD/ADHD is not caused by poor diet or lack of structure

quietbookworm
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Yes

TexasWife
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I thought sugar had the opposite effect. Maybe it is in my son. Coffee, soda, and candy can calm him down.

butterflies798
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I used to believe that it was just a bullshit diagnosis. But now I do think there are really people/kids out there who have it. BUT I do think it is over-diagnosed and too many parents/teachers use it as an excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)