Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you REALLY believe in ADD/ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I don't have enough experience with it but the kids I do know that "have" it are constantly eating sugar, drinking soda, no boundries, rules, etc. Do people really try doing ALL they can before medicating?  And yes, I am posting ANON because I realize it's a touchy subject and I am probably going about it the wrong way but I truly want to know. I hear add/adhd and cringe honestly. Like it's SO over prescribed and kids are WAY over medicated these days, I feel like it's just an excuse (Not in all cases, I am sure)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Replies (51-60):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

See but the problem with that is the amish do not have the same sense of medicine as we do. So they would never diagnose conditions like autism or ADD or even bipolar probably.

Quoting saralia:

I've often wondered the same thing. I read recently that there has never been a single case of autism in Amish people. I wonder if the same is true for ADD in the Amish where they aren't overstimulated with electronics and food additives and medications and such.

I have no personal experience with either so I honestly don't know.

samanthastaatss
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

YES! I had friends in high school who were bouncing off the walls..it was crazy-I've never seen someone so hyper and excited 24/7.

MrsRi
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

MammaPaparazza
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I have it, I believe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Do I BELIEVE in Add/adhd?  Hmmm...well, it's a documented medical condition that's treated by doctors all over the world.  So yeah, I "believe" in it. 

Do you have trouble also believing in arthritis and bowel obstructions?

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
saralia
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Yeah I know. But interesting to think about.

Quoting purpleducky:

See but the problem with that is the amish do not have the same sense of medicine as we do. So they would never diagnose conditions like autism or ADD or even bipolar probably.

Quoting saralia:

I've often wondered the same thing. I read recently that there has never been a single case of autism in Amish people. I wonder if the same is true for ADD in the Amish where they aren't overstimulated with electronics and food additives and medications and such.

I have no personal experience with either so I honestly don't know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Yes. It took me four years of being an elementary teacher and many years before that working with children before I did, but yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

yes i do. my brother in law has it, and trust me, half the kids diagnosed with it don't even come close to what he has.

Schleetle
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Yes. If someone can't tell the difference between a kid hopped on sugar who is acting like a brat, and one with a legitimate dx that's their problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)