Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG! My Sister is a f****** idiot *update *

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
Holy. Freaking. Shit.

My sister and I have never been very close due to our age gap. I just turned 30 a few weeks ago and she is a few months shy of 22. I got married and moved away and she moved with her boyfriend to another state. She has two kids, both girls the oldest is 5 and the baby is 5 months. Since having her kids we have become closer she loves my three kids too. Today, however, my mother dropped a huge bomb.

I was woken up at 6am by a frantic phone call from my mother. My sister is in jail. I freaked out hoping it was a misunderstanding. Nope. My sister has apparently been using and selling crystal meth. She was busted last night after her neighbors called the cops because she left her kids home alone. The neighbors said she left the house at 8pm and they called at midnight. Anyway when the cops came and searched the house they found drug paraphernalia, meth and much more.

She is now being charged with endangering the welfare of a child, making & indenting to distribute meth and one other charge. She is looking at prison time. Oh it gets better. Apparently my 5 year old niece has been abused. When the cops took them she had two black eyes and a few more suspicious bruises. My heart is breaking.

I am the only relative who can take in her two kids. My parents are in their late 60s with a bunch of health problems and we have no other siblings.

Does anyone here know how I go about getting custody of them. I want my nieces to be in a stable environment with people who love them.

UPDATE 12/8

Its been a very long night. We contacted CPS and told them who we were and why we were calling. They told us that they were glad we contacted them as they would rather place the children with family where they can stay together, sometimes with foster homes they dont. A social worker will be here tomorrow to inspect our home and make sure that it is an adequate environment for the kids, which we do not anticipate a problem. Then it's a matter of us doing some paper work to get temporary/emergency custody. Please pray that is happens
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Did you not have physical contact with them to know they were being abused or did you just never see anything. I would call the poilce or cps? try to get info and tell them that you are willing to take care of the girls so they don't get put in foster care. i believe it will take awhile before you officially get custody but you will get temporary guardianship and move forward from there. I wish i had more info of where to start, sorry!! good luck. im glad the girls have to take care of them so they don't get put in the system!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Yes! It's called kinship foster care. Call your local social services. They can help you.

Byrd15
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry that your sister is an idiot.... I hope you can keep her two babies and give them a safe home! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The children are in another state right? If so just contact that states CPS office in the county/city where they live. Let them know you are the children's Aunt and where you live and that you want to find out how to retain family custody of the children. Good Luck

Also the anon above gave great advice!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I live about 10 hours away, so no I have never seen anything. I'm going off what my mother told me. I will be calling the station here in a few to see what I can do. I really don't want them to go into foster care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you not have physical contact with them to know they were being abused or did you just never see anything. I would call the poilce or cps? try to get info and tell them that you are willing to take care of the girls so they don't get put in foster care. i believe it will take awhile before you officially get custody but you will get temporary guardianship and move forward from there. I wish i had more info of where to start, sorry!! good luck. im glad the girls have to take care of them so they don't get put in the system!

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

If your sister goes to prison she'll probably willingly sign them over to you. Call family services to find out what you need to do. Since they're in a different state, it'll probably be a little tricky. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Yes they are its approximately a ten hour drive, very doable and I will do anything to protect my nieces. I may not exactly love my sister right now but the girls deserve so much better.

Quoting model1000mom:

The children are in another state right? If so just contact that states CPS office in the county/city where they live. Let them know you are the children's Aunt and where you live and that you want to find out how to retain family custody of the children. Good Luck

Also the anon above gave great advice!

daiseymae2
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Contact CPS in the state they are in and talk to them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

that is so sad, poor little girls. good luck!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I live about 10 hours away, so no I have never seen anything. I'm going off what my mother told me. I will be calling the station here in a few to see what I can do. I really don't want them to go into foster care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Get going on them phone calls or those kids will end up god knows where for christmas . and so many foster families only want the money not worried about the kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)