Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't buy my kids expensive gifts for xmas

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

they're happy with what they get....i don't think kids NEED expensive items at Christmas to show your love...they get items during the year as a reward for doing a good job on something and they earned the reward...Christmas is about sharing love, and gifts are part of it too...but they don't have to cost an arm and leg and be the best, brightest, most expesensive go into debt holiday every year.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM

ok then.

anotherhalf
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I basically agree with you but your opening line rubs me the wrong way. I feel like I'm lucky to have such a great son and he DESERVES everything he gets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

If that works for you, great!

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Good for you! I don't buy my kids a lot of stuff during the year so they get a big Christmas. They get needs during the year. They can use earned money to buy wants or wait until Christmas or birthdays.  Different strokes.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Don't care much for your first line. But yeah... no sense going into debt over a holiday. Often the most meaninful gifts are the less expensive ones anyway. 

FL2AK
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Ok, do what works for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Good for you?

.Funfetti.
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I agree...to a point. I do think people can go above and beyond...but I also do like to get my kids nice things for the holidays. It's a special time and I love seeing their little faces surrounded by gifts. 

MichelleNShane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM
The most expensive gift my kids are getting is like $30. But their grandma is getting them a WII so I went more gifts but cheaper prices.
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I don't buy my kids to show them love.

But Christmas time is the main time they get a big gift.  This year my DD is getting a horse for 2 months, if she learns to care for it properly & we feel she can handle the responsibility we may look more long term:)

We don't go into debt every year, they each get 2 big gifts & a few small gifts & they love spending the holiday w/family bc they know that's what it is really about:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)