Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"gangnam style" rapper Psy sings about the killing and torture of American soldiers and their families

Posted by   + Show Post

I really liked this guy too.

Psy, the South Korean rapper famous for “Gangnam Style,” apologized Friday for a 2004 performance in which he said American soldiers should be killed “slowly and painfully.”

At a 2004 concert, the "Gangnam Style" rapper performs a song with lyrics about killing "Yankees" who have been torturing Iraqi captives and their families "slowly and painfully."You can listen to the heavy metal rap song, called "Dear American," here, but it's completely Korean. It isn't actually Psy's song, it was written and originally performed by aKorean metal band called N.E.X.T., but Psy and other Korean musicians performed it at a 2004 protest against the Iraq war.

The song opens with the sounds of a semi-automatic gun, a reverberating clang of Asian-style cymbals, then the sounds of a muezzin calling Muslims to prayer by reciting verses from the Koran.

It is basically an angry rant, a call to kill, and it roughly translates to:

Kill those f***ing Yankees who've been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those f***ers who ordered them to torture

And kill their family members, daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers

Kill, kill, kill... very slowly and painfully

Psy has gone global with “Gangnam Style", and the video for the song has generated nearly 1 billion views on YouTube. But after his old lyrics surfaced, a short-lived petition to kick him off the Christmas in Washington celebration went up on whitehouse.gov. The petition had fewer than 500 signatures when it was pulled offline for violating terms.

Here’s the apology Psy released through his publicist, in full:

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world.”

“The song in question — from eight years ago — was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.

“I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months — including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them — and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.”

Do you accept Psy's apology or do you think it's just a way to gain or keep American fans. Does this influence whether or not you like Psy?

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
mamaxkitty
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM
Ehh. My son loves him and his song. It's his business and opinions. I still like him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh ok, how about the American soldiers leave south Korea, and let's see what they say when the north Korean soldiers come flooding across the demilitarized zone and start killing, torturing and raping* women and children by the thousands.

Quoting ivy801:

Or the ones killing innocent civilians. Wasn't there a serial killer over there to who was also a soldier not to mention those rapping.

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:39 AM
This. It's a Korean thing. I'm half Korean my grandmother was from Korea. She married a US solider and still hated Americans and soldiers.

It's resentment. The media here doesn't show the evils and glorifies our own.

A few select few DID ruin it.

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Um this is not uncommon in that country. I wouldn't be surprised if he was raised with the belief. Seems he has changed. He's never been my music choice though. 

RMB2011
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:41 AM
I don't care either way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnastasiaKorsh
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:45 AM
1 mom liked this

This.

Quoting Sama2Mamma:

I don't give a fuck. I still like him. Its not like he was the one doing the murdering and torture. I've heard a lot of dumbass shit rappers say in their songs both american and foreign rappers.
Atleast he apologized. How about we get over it and move on to more important fucking issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Look, many of our soldiers are far from innocent as are their superiors. I understand his anger. I have a friend that lives in Iraq as well as one that served. I was brought to tears and horrified by the stories that they both had about our soldiers actions. Like a man who was forced to watch his wife and 3 young children executed in front of him because he had a seisure while driving and didn't stop right away at a check point. His punishment was to watch his family die at the hands of our soldiers who laughed while he cried. Or the helicopter crew who was delivering food to a village and when the over excited villagers came running for this drop off the pilot took off while a young girl was hanging onto the skids. They were ordered to let her fall to her death. You wonder why so many of our soldiers come home seriously fucked in the head? Look what they've done!!!
ivy801
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:58 AM
We probably see more trouble no doubt and I was trying to quote the person below you but lack of sleep and my kindle got in the way. I don't understand why people get so surprise about how the world feels about our soldiers or Americans for that matter. I know all soldiers aren't evil but those who do horrible things while hiding behind the banner do a lot of moral damage. Same how I feel about cops.

Quoting Djinn83:

Oh ok, how about the American soldiers leave south Korea, and let's see what they say when the north Korean soldiers come flooding across the demilitarized zone and start killing, torturing and raping* women and children by the thousands.

Quoting ivy801:

Or the ones killing innocent civilians. Wasn't there a serial killer over there to who was also a soldier not to mention those rapping.

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I call bullshit. It's one thing for a soldier to go rogue. Quiet another to claim that soldiers executed an Iraqi man's family as retribution for blowing a check point. You, or the person who told you such a thing, are completely full of shit. 

Of course there are bad military people, as there is in any population. We have 3 million people in our armed forces, and a few legitimate cases of bad apples. Yet the military is routinely demonized.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look, many of our soldiers are far from innocent as are their superiors. I understand his anger. I have a friend that lives in Iraq as well as one that served. I was brought to tears and horrified by the stories that they both had about our soldiers actions. Like a man who was forced to watch his wife and 3 young children executed in front of him because he had a seisure while driving and didn't stop right away at a check point. His punishment was to watch his family die at the hands of our soldiers who laughed while he cried. Or the helicopter crew who was delivering food to a village and when the over excited villagers came running for this drop off the pilot took off while a young girl was hanging onto the skids. They were ordered to let her fall to her death. You wonder why so many of our soldiers come home seriously fucked in the head? Look what they've done!!!

alibrezzy154
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

This exactly. God ruined my day thanks. Just like the song plump d up kicks listen to those lyrics IMO those were jut as diapointing when I finally listen to it...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM
Believe whatever you want. It wouldn't be the first time or first war that similar horrific actions have occurred at the hands of our soldiers. Look are veitnam, Korea, our actions during ww2. SOME (not all making that very clear) of our soldiers are just as sick and warped now as they were then if not worse thanks to our state of the art desensitization training. You can sit there and think that they are all innocent good guys helping people and feeding orphans all you want. They come home seriously fucked up for a reason. The things they see and have done eat at them.

Quoting Djinn83:

I call bullshit. It's one thing for a soldier to go rogue. Quiet another to claim that soldiers executed an Iraqi man's family as retribution for blowing a check point. You, or the person who told you such a thing, are completely full of shit. 

Of course there are bad military people, as there is in any population. We have 3 million people in our armed forces, and a few legitimate cases of bad apples. Yet the military is routinely demonized.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)