Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"gangnam style" rapper Psy sings about the killing and torture of American soldiers and their families

Posted by   + Show Post

I really liked this guy too.

Psy, the South Korean rapper famous for “Gangnam Style,” apologized Friday for a 2004 performance in which he said American soldiers should be killed “slowly and painfully.”

At a 2004 concert, the "Gangnam Style" rapper performs a song with lyrics about killing "Yankees" who have been torturing Iraqi captives and their families "slowly and painfully."You can listen to the heavy metal rap song, called "Dear American," here, but it's completely Korean. It isn't actually Psy's song, it was written and originally performed by aKorean metal band called N.E.X.T., but Psy and other Korean musicians performed it at a 2004 protest against the Iraq war.

The song opens with the sounds of a semi-automatic gun, a reverberating clang of Asian-style cymbals, then the sounds of a muezzin calling Muslims to prayer by reciting verses from the Koran.

It is basically an angry rant, a call to kill, and it roughly translates to:

Kill those f***ing Yankees who've been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those f***ers who ordered them to torture

And kill their family members, daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers

Kill, kill, kill... very slowly and painfully

Psy has gone global with “Gangnam Style", and the video for the song has generated nearly 1 billion views on YouTube. But after his old lyrics surfaced, a short-lived petition to kick him off the Christmas in Washington celebration went up on whitehouse.gov. The petition had fewer than 500 signatures when it was pulled offline for violating terms.

Here’s the apology Psy released through his publicist, in full:

“As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world.”

“The song in question — from eight years ago — was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.

“I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months — including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them — and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.”

Do you accept Psy's apology or do you think it's just a way to gain or keep American fans. Does this influence whether or not you like Psy?

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
helema24
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

you do realise he says things to get a rise out of people right?like the whole gangnam style thing poked fun at people that are erged to spend until their great grandchildren are in debt. its like eminem talking bout the death of "bitches" and cussing... he does it in his music to get a rise out of people when normally hes not that person.

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

Beautiful31mom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I always thought that gangam style thing was dumb anyway.

BluePandaDreams
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM
I don't accept apologies like this. If the entertainer was sorry, he wouldn't have did the song to begin with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

you do realise some of the soldiers are guilty of raping then chopping breasts off for trophies in korea and other places? they did this for years while the gov looked the other way.....and the koreans and other countries occupied are supposed be all happy that the soldiers that tortured them fo ryears go toff scot free AND the american troops are STILL there leaving them to wonder if the past will be repeated? look at it from their side of things before you get all pissy. 

Quoting Djinn83:

Oh ok, how about the American soldiers leave south Korea, and let's see what they say when the north Korean soldiers come flooding across the demilitarized zone and start killing, torturing and raping* women and children by the thousands.

Quoting ivy801:

Or the ones killing innocent civilians. Wasn't there a serial killer over there to who was also a soldier not to mention those rapping.

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

power bitch slap internetMuslim Cat prays towards Mecca. LoL by: wirgylovesamletoandshayaprofessor cat. replySPOCK'S MILKSHAKE[]

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I think you are getting your facts mixed up. Are you referring to the massacre at Phong Nhi? That was the Vietnam war, In which South KOREAN marines chopped of the breasts of southern Vietnam women. And again at Mudeng mountain. The chopping off of breasts is a ritual preformed by south Korean soldiers. Not American soldiers. In Vietnam, it was reported that some American soldiers cut off ears of viet cong soldiers as trophies.

and we are hardly occupying south Korea. We were asked to join the war, and asked to stay, to maintain the demilitarized zone. If south Korea requests that we leave, we will. You can't request US presence and then claim occupation. 

Im sure there are cases of us military brutality, of course there was. With any population there is going to be rogue people. But come on. 

Quoting helema24:

you do realise some of the soldiers are guilty of raping then chopping breasts off for trophies in korea and other places? they did this for years while the gov looked the other way.....and the koreans and other countries occupied are supposed be all happy that the soldiers that tortured them fo ryears go toff scot free AND the american troops are STILL there leaving them to wonder if the past will be repeated? look at it from their side of things before you get all pissy. 

Quoting Djinn83:

Oh ok, how about the American soldiers leave south Korea, and let's see what they say when the north Korean soldiers come flooding across the demilitarized zone and start killing, torturing and raping* women and children by the thousands.

Quoting ivy801:

Or the ones killing innocent civilians. Wasn't there a serial killer over there to who was also a soldier not to mention those rapping.

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
He didn't write it. He just sang it. I really don't care honestly. Lots of people were pissed we went to war, and if there were any troops who tortured and killed innocents then they should be tortured and killed IMO. I'm an eye for an eye kind of person. I can understand the deep emotions he must have had to sing about it. That being said... His song is catchy but its bit my type of music. I just like how funny it can be lol. The 3rd MEF rock band here in Okinawa recently used his song to remix "Here Comes Santa Clause"... It was cute and funny to see Marines in dress blues dancing and singing to.

Quoting NBean311:

At least he gave a reasonable eexplanation as to why he was angry enough to write something like that, and offered what seems like a sincere apology. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

my grandfather was there and they caught soldiers doing it when he was there. those incidents were not reported much and when they were they were swept under the rug. they docked the pay of other soldiers because of this and made sure to use a diff excuse to do so.

Quoting Djinn83:

I think you are getting your facts mixed up. Are you referring to the massacre at Phong Nhi? That was the Vietnam war, In which South KOREAN marines chopped of the breasts of southern Vietnam women. And again at Mudeng mountain. The chopping off of breasts is a ritual preformed by south Korean soldiers. Not American soldiers. In Vietnam, it was reported that some American soldiers cut off ears of viet cong soldiers as trophies.

and we are hardly occupying south Korea. We were asked to join the war, and asked to stay, to maintain the demilitarized zone. If south Korea requests that we leave, we will. You can't request US presence and then claim occupation. 

Im sure there are cases of us military brutality, of course there was. With any population there is going to be rogue people. But come on. 

Quoting helema24:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting ivy801:

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

702girly
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I don't care. I believe in freedom of speech.

I'm also prior service Army and I do not support soldiers who engage in acts of torture. That is NOT what the military is about. An order to torture is an unlawful order that soldiers have a DUTY to disobey.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
I am a vet who also hates war. What a few bad soldiers did to bring about that song was horrible. I love Psy and his music.
Djinn83
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

So you bring up third party  anecdotal "evidence" to support your argument, and claim these atrocities have never been reported. How can I possible debate the merit of your claims? Fallacy.

Quoting helema24:

my grandfather was there and they caught soldiers doing it when he was there. those incidents were not reported much and when they were they were swept under the rug. they docked the pay of other soldiers because of this and made sure to use a diff excuse to do so.

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting helema24:

Quoting Djinn83:

Quoting ivy801:

Quoting Pandora-Sparrow:

Woah...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)