Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh Why do my parents have to be so immature?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

This past early November, we went to my sisters for my son's birthday so he can spend the night.  That way he can sleep in his cousins' room and have a little sleepover.  My cousins like sleeping in total darkness; my son likes a little night light.  He was trying to sleep in his cousins' room  and I heard  some noise here and there for about 20 minutes.  He wanders into the guest room dh and I  were sleeping in, said that it was too scary in the other room, and falls right to bed the second he touches the pillow.

We were there at my sister's 6 mos prior in early spring because of my nephew's birthday. We spent the night again and he tried to sleep in his cousins' room and something scared him or whatever.   He tried and freaked out whatever it was and ended up sleeping in the guest room with us.    Well, I can't go to my niece's birthday party this Sunday because I have to work.  My mom wanted to take him w/ her on Saturday so that means he will sleep overnight  there. I told her I will think about it.   Something inside of me wasn't comfortable with the idea because he's not comfortable at night time/bed time being away from us.  He sleeps in his own room at night but when it comes to sleeping at my sister's, he hasn't quite been okay sleeping in his cousin's room.  So, I told my mom that I'm not comfortable with it until he is ready.   My mom yells at me in front of my son and says "Why can't he for one night!"  and slams the door behind  her.  ( My dad pulled the same thing a few years ago when I said  my son lost going to his cousin's because he was hitting me all week and wouldn't not listen. My dad screams "Why not!" and slams the door too.)  

Anyhow,   I asked my son,  Are you okay going there and spending the night knowing mommy and daddy won't be there, if you are.. then you can go."  he paused for a second and I can sense an underlying sense of not being quite sure that he would be okay w/out us.. he goes "Hmmm, I think I will wait unti I'm more comfortable."   He will see his cousins in a few weeks for Xmas anyways.  I just want want him to have a positive bedtime experience and if he's unsure himself,  is it wrong of me to respect that for now.. and then try again in a few months when we have the extra gas money since my sister is two hours away?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandora-Sparrow
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:50 AM

I don't blame you.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM
How old is your son?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:54 AM

He is 5. 

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:04 AM

I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to traumatize him

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM

You're doing the right thing.  How old is the cousin?  Maybe cousin is doing something weird or is it just the darkness?

XJetX
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:18 AM
You're doing the right thing, and your parents need some serious growing up to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:14 AM
No need to make him uncomfertable just to spend the night at his cousins house with your parents that are clearly too immature to have a 5 yr olds best intrest in mind.
mybabysmama35
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

You are making the right decision. He shouldn't have to go without you if he doesn't feel comfortable. 

HunternChase
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
You are going the right thing..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
areyouatroll
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM
You are right, your parents are ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN