Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Santa May Be a Lie But I'll Be Darned If I'm Going to Tell My Daughter the Truth - Do you buy into Santa in your household?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

Santa May Be a Lie But I'll Be Darned If I'm Going to Tell My Daughter the Truth

Posted by Jeanne Sager on December 8, 2012 

Santa A con. A lie. A guarantee your kids will become drug addicts. I think I've heard all the anti-Santa diatribes I can take this holiday season. The grumpy mom in Miracle on 34th Street who refused to let her daughter believe in the big guy with the beard was sweet and cuddly compared to the Santa hate that seems to be oozing out on the Internet this holiday season.

I get it! Not every parent on the block wants their kid believing in Santa Claus! But even as I'm typing this with my home-sick-from-school 7-year-old buzzing around, I'm carefully hiding my laptop screen because I want my child to believe in Santa Claus for as long as she possible can.

In truth, I can't remember what it was like to believe in Santa. I remember only the moment when I learned that there was no magical man visiting houses 'round the world every Christmas Eve. I was lying in the nurse's office of my elementary school with a belly ache and -- nosy even then -- listening to the goings on in the main office next door when I heard our gym teacher (and father of one of my childhood best friends) talking about "playing Santa Claus" for his kids.

I didn't, as the real hardcore haters of Old St. Nick will warn, become a rebel overnight, refusing to take anything my parents said at face value. I've never done drugs, nor did I suffer from some sort of post traumatic stress disorder over the revelation.

I simply grew up a bit, earlier than my parents expected or hoped. Looking at my daughter's face as she settled next to Santa on Saturday afternoon, I understand why they let me believe some fat guy in a red suit brought me the things they worked so hard to buy.

On her face I saw magic, pure and simple. She couldn't explain why this man she doesn't see during the year knew her name, her mother's name, knew that she had a new puppy (all benefits of a hometown Santa who is Facebook friends with your mother), but she doesn't even try. She accepts, on blind faith, that there is someone in this world who loves children so much that he'll go the ends of the earth to make them happy.

For us, Santa is not about torturing our child with a threat so she'll behave (I tried it once, and I will never do it again). Santa is about something so much greater and happier, something good in her life rather than the other way around.

At 7, she's already learned about unhappiness. She's seen great-grandparents die, lost beloved pets. She's dealt with bullies and bitter disappointment. I can't shield her from everything, nor do I want to. She needs to learn about the real world.

And yet, I'd rather she learn about it slowly, in bits and pieces. She's still just a child, a little girl lucky to be growing up in American in 2012, in a time and place where childhood is valued, where having a real childhood is still possible.

My little girl wants to believe in magic, and I can let her! It is one of the glorious gifts I as her mother can bestow on her.

I don't have to put her to work the way generations of parents before me. I don't have to treat her as a malleable doll of sorts, ignoring her feelings as generations of parents before me thought was appropriate.

And one day, long after the magic has ended, I hope she looks back and appreciates the time she had, the time when there was no reason to question that there were still people in this world with hearts so large that they're filled with all the children of the world. I hope that if she decides to have children, they too are given this magical gift.

What about you? Do you buy into Santa in your household?

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tifbrown
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Heck yes! This is a Santa believing, Elf on the Shelf hiding, encompassed with the story and celebration of Jesus's birth, Christmas house :)

MrsRussell1025
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Liz.Sisk
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Well. Jesus wasn't born on Christmas. So. Just to point that out.
No. I don't think I'll be doing Santa. It's just as magical without the fat guy in the red suit. Christmas in definition to me is a time for family. It celebrates family. Gifts yes, not tons. But there are gifts.
We'll show her lights, put up the tree together. All of that fun stuff. The Christmas movies. That's good enough for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylenkodysmom
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angel_Red7
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Yep, here too.

Quoting tifbrown:

Heck yes! This is a Santa believing, Elf on the Shelf hiding, encompassed with the story and celebration of Jesus's birth, Christmas house :)

HunternChase
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Same here also..

Quoting Angel_Red7:

Yep, here too.

Quoting tifbrown:

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The Santa Haters seem to think that the magic/lie of Santa will turn our kids against us when they learn the truth.  How many rant about "how will they ever trust you again?"  Really?  Finding out Santa isn't real will suddenly make everything we've told them questionable?

I was ten when I figured it out.  Purely by fluke.  I just shrugged and carried on.  No big deal.  I never told my mom I no longer believed.  It didn't make me question everything she's told me in life.  I understood there was a joy and happiness to the season and Santa was part of that joy.  Realizing that my parents were the ones giving me gifts didn't change that.

I think the Santa "Haters" are more brazen than years prior.  Now they don't give a crap if their kids ruins it for others.  We hear "Well, it's not my job to make sure your lie stays alive".  When I was a kid, I never encountered anyone who said he wasn't real and I am sure there were some kids who didn't do the Santa thing, but they seemed to understand that they were to keep that to themselves.  Nowadays, the parents don't care and their kids don't care.  It's like they purposely want their kids to ruin it.  Superiority complex, perhaps?  A way for them to feel like they're better because they can't teach their kids to shut the hell up?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM
I adore the magic of Christmas. It brings out so much good in people.

I was LIED to about Santa lol and I will proudly do it with my kids.
RoseBlossom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

i didnt believe when i was a kid, but my kids believe, for now, just like they believe in the tooth fairy

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I agree with you.

It's a symptom of the mommy wars. Insecurity.

I was threatened with my life that I would not ruin it for others when I found out. My parents then went on to keep Santa alive because he's magic. I STILL get presents from Santa.

Quoting randi1978:

The Santa Haters seem to think that the magic/lie of Santa will turn our kids against us when they learn the truth.  How many rant about "how will they ever trust you again?"  Really?  Finding out Santa isn't real will suddenly make everything we've told them questionable?

I was ten when I figured it out.  Purely by fluke.  I just shrugged and carried on.  No big deal.  I never told my mom I no longer believed.  It didn't make me question everything she's told me in life.  I understood there was a joy and happiness to the season and Santa was part of that joy.  Realizing that my parents were the ones giving me gifts didn't change that.

I think the Santa "Haters" are more brazen than years prior.  Now they don't give a crap if their kids ruins it for others.  We hear "Well, it's not my job to make sure your lie stays alive".  When I was a kid, I never encountered anyone who said he wasn't real and I am sure there were some kids who didn't do the Santa thing, but they seemed to understand that they were to keep that to themselves.  Nowadays, the parents don't care and their kids don't care.  It's like they purposely want their kids to ruin it.  Superiority complex, perhaps?  A way for them to feel like they're better because they can't teach their kids to shut the hell up?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN