Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever donated your time/money/efforts to help someone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever donated time/money/efforts to help someone else?

Options:

yes

no

have something planned to soon

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 39

View Results

Recently a man who worked at my store died suddenly from cancer. He went quickly after they stopped treatments. He was in his 30's and leaves behind a wife and two kids.  He had worked at another store, for the same company before coming to mine. The managers at my store put together a fund raiser and the people at the other store organized a charity run to raise money for his family to help with the medical bills and to hopefully help them have as good of a Holiday season as one can have. 

What I don't understand is the total lack and complete coldness from my store for both events. I get that it's the holidays, everyone is busy, strapped for cash, etc. But I was THE ONLY ONE to show up. My dh and I were talking and just wondering what has happened to the spirit of doing things for others in the hopes that maybe someone will return the kindness. No, I didn't know the man well at all, barely said hello a few times. But as much as there were other things to do on BOTH those days, I showed, donated and participated. Is it really so hard to part with an hour or a $20? or $10 or even a $1?  My dh said that some people don't because it's an inconvience to them. How big of an inconvience is it to his family, that for the next several years the holiday's will have the shadow of their dh/fathers death over it?  The fact that they are drowning in medical/funeral expenses? It's as though no one thinks anymore about others, yet they want everyone to think and do things for them if it were them in that situation. 

It just made me really sad. We are in the giving season, here is a family that is suffering a tragic loss and hardly anyone gave. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Yes. Quite often. It's important to me to help others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM

bump

youknowimloved
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That is awful.

702girly
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I guess I'm a cunt because I don't donate due to a death. I have life insurance. I really think all responsible parents should have life insurance. If a child died, I might donate to help with burial expenses. 

I'm much more likely to donate to someone who is sick and needs help staying alive. I've done that several times.

I also took in a kid when I wasn't looking to adopt because he needed a home. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but I did it.

I wouldn't donate to the cause you used as an example though. Most people can't donate to every single cause because they would go broke.

Kitschy
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a major part of my life. I really don't see the point to life if we aren't helping others.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I volunteered for four years at a food pantry and now at a Women's Closet. I can't recall ever donating to this type of cause.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I used to go out of my way to help ppl, but I stopped. ppl take advantage of kindness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleywright88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM

DH and I use to really like to help people who were down on their luck. Before we had children we would allow for people to stay with us, help them get on their feet, etc. After so many times of being screwed over we don't do that anymore. But we do donate money and stuff to help out others that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

But what if it was a disease that despite life insurance/medical insurance etc they are still deep in debt? When we planned these things, he was still alive. He died while they were still in the planning stages. 

Quoting 702girly:

I guess I'm a cunt because I don't donate due to a death. I have life insurance. I really think all responsible parents should have life insurance. If a child died, I might donate to help with burial expenses. 

I'm much more likely to donate to someone who is sick and needs help staying alive. I've done that several times.

I also took in a kid when I wasn't looking to adopt because he needed a home. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but I did it.

I wouldn't donate to the cause you used as an example though. Most people can't donate to every single cause because they would go broke.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

totally get that...some ppl are heartless punks.

Quoting 1stpreggers:

I used to go out of my way to help ppl, but I stopped. ppl take advantage of kindness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN