Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Speaking out against abuse by the Catholic Church!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this

My Granny, not my real Granny but my DH's Granny, is speaking out tomorrow to the whole nation on a radio station out of NY. She was a victim of abuse from the House of Good Shepard Nuns in Baltimore, MD when she was a teenager. 

She usually just held onto her anger and never thought she could make a difference until her son bought her an IPad. She became obsessed with finding others that went through what she did. She is 77 now and has learned to work that IPad better than most. Finally, after a month of research and after creating a Facebook to reach out to others she has started to make a difference! Others are coming out with their stories. A website that only had about fifty stories now has hundreds. We all kind of thought she was going mad but now she is and advocate for other victims. They look up to her and her strength.

She is not judgemental of the Catholic faith, the only thing she is against is the cruelty her and her "sisters" were subjected to. From being raped by Priest in all female children's homes, to being denied basic hygiene supplies. These women are coming to the forefront to explain what has happened. 

This will all eventually lead to a meeting with the Vatican. I am not sure what will happen, all I know is that I am proud of these women for speaking out. 

Wish her luck, she makes her "debut", as she is calling it, tomorrow. :)

Photobucket

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywright88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM

BUMP!

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I am against abuse of any type towards any person by any person. But may I just put out there that there is abuse in all sorts of orgainzations and by all sorts of people, its not just a Catholic thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I am a 51 year old lifelong catholic, a CCD teacher and I applaud your husband's grandmother for having the courage to speak up and offer support to others in the same situation. She is very brave and I am sure your family is very, very proud. I wish I lived closer to you, I would love to hear her interview.
LuLuThatsWho
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that the abuse that she endured is horrifying.  That being said, I think that it is sad that it is made out to be a Catholic thing.  There is abuse like this in every faith.

ashleywright88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I know this, but it was the The House of Good Shepards that created this pain she endures. Like I said, she is not attacking the Catholic faith. She is speaking out so others can know that there are people who went through what she did. I admire her for what she is doing. Its not directed at ALL Catholics, just the ones who did this to her. She even talked to a Nun that was there when she went though all of this. She was the only one that was nice to here, she is now 97 and WANTS for my grandmother to tell people what happened there. So she is not allowed to speak out what happened to her because it was done by a church organization? 

Quoting macbudsmom:

I am against abuse of any type towards any person by any person. But may I just put out there that there is abuse in all sorts of orgainzations and by all sorts of people, its not just a Catholic thing.

Photobucket

ashleywright88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thank you so very much. I think a lot of poeple think she is attacking Catholic beliefs but she is not at all. She very much respects the faith that everyone has. Her interview will be at 10am est. I am in the proccess of setting all of this up, once I know the radio station, she has yet to tell me so I am contacting Art For Kids for the help, I can let you know the web address. It will be streaming live via the internet.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a 51 year old lifelong catholic, a CCD teacher and I applaud your husband's grandmother for having the courage to speak up and offer support to others in the same situation. She is very brave and I am sure your family is very, very proud. I wish I lived closer to you, I would love to hear her interview.

Photobucket

ashleywright88
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Gosh, I said it in the original post, she is not speaking out against the Catholic faith. She is speaking out against the abuse. So just because all of this happened in the Catholic church she is not allowed to share her story? Yes, all of this does involve a church organization but people should be allowed to speak out against any abuse whether its caused by Christians, Catholics, Muslims, Boy Scout leaders, Girl Scout leaders, family, friends ANY type of abuse. People who want to speak out should be allowed. 

Quoting LuLuThatsWho:

I think that the abuse that she endured is horrifying.  That being said, I think that it is sad that it is made out to be a Catholic thing.  There is abuse like this in every faith.

Photobucket

SweetandSassy12
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that is so empowering
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolkaDots3220
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Wow this is a truely touching story! how sad about the abuse that she endured :( I am so glad she has found enough peace with it to be able to speak about it! I hope this leads to healing for many other people no matter what type of abuse they endured!

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM
No. Of course she can speak out! I applaud her for that. I just wanted to remind people reading this that abuse happens in other settings as well. Like I said, its not just a "Catholic thing." I wish your grandmother well and hope it helps. = )

Quoting ashleywright88:

I know this, but it was the The House of Good Shepards that created this pain she endures. Like I said, she is not attacking the Catholic faith. She is speaking out so others can know that there are people who went through what she did. I admire her for what she is doing. Its not directed at ALL Catholics, just the ones who did this to her. She even talked to a Nun that was there when she went though all of this. She was the only one that was nice to here, she is now 97 and WANTS for my grandmother to tell people what happened there. So she is not allowed to speak out what happened to her because it was done by a church organization? 

Quoting macbudsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)