Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son has a Guardian Angel...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a son who has Autism. He has some trouble communicating and lots of fine motor skills issues. I entered him into a contest for an iPad and was notified he was a finalist last week... Sadly, he didn't win the contest. simple frown

I had posted onto my Facebook that he was a finalist and then updated so my friends would know he hadn't won... A few days later, I got a private message from a friend of a friend who also has a child with Autism, who I had only chatted with a few times online, but have never met in person. She said that she wanted to help another child in the community and would like to buy DS an iPad for Christmas because of how much the technology had helped her daughter so far!

We are meeting up next week so that she can give it to us. I am SO excited for my son and even more grateful that someone would care enough to help him have this device that our family can't afford to buy for him.

angel

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM

As long as you have found something that helps you have a voice, that is all that matters! Thankfully, there are so many things we can take care of using a keyboard and the internet these days, from shopping to emailing doctors to just chatting with friends...

Quoting LectioDivina:

Not really, I don't have a tablet, But just from coming onto cafemom for the past few years I've gotten more out that I was thinking than I have in my entire life

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have any App suggestions?

Quoting LectioDivina:

It does help so much, I have aspergers and I can barely talk in real life If I'm nervous at all, But typing I can say anything I want

acbbsmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM

That's wonderful! I love hearing happy stories like this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM
That's great :)
Prdmmyof678
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Awesome angel your son has
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

What is the program?

Quoting Anonymous:

It is so awesome to have! One of the programs taught my son to talk after we lost hope!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Have you requested to have the tablet travel back and forth between home and school? I went to a conference all about AAC devices and Facilitated Communication and a lawyer who spoke said that most schools will agree to this so that the child has the same programs and ability to communicate at home.

Quoting mariesmama:

Quoting Anonymous:

Does she use an AAC device?

Quoting mariesmama:

sweet my daughter doesnt have autism but has spd and motor dyspraxia so i know about communication issues

she talks now but i can barely understand her she uses a tablet at school

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

that's awesome:)

mariesmama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you requested to have the tablet travel back and forth between home and school? I went to a conference all about AAC devices and Facilitated Communication and a lawyer who spoke said that most schools will agree to this so that the child has the same programs and ability to communicate at home.

Quoting mariesmama:

Quoting Anonymous:

Does she use an AAC device?

Quoting mariesmama:

sweet my daughter doesnt have autism but has spd and motor dyspraxia so i know about communication issues

she talks now but i can barely understand her she uses a tablet at school

i just tell her show me when i dont understand her

WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That's wonderful!!! T'is the season!!

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM

That is awesome, :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)