Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son has a Guardian Angel...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a son who has Autism. He has some trouble communicating and lots of fine motor skills issues. I entered him into a contest for an iPad and was notified he was a finalist last week... Sadly, he didn't win the contest. simple frown

I had posted onto my Facebook that he was a finalist and then updated so my friends would know he hadn't won... A few days later, I got a private message from a friend of a friend who also has a child with Autism, who I had only chatted with a few times online, but have never met in person. She said that she wanted to help another child in the community and would like to buy DS an iPad for Christmas because of how much the technology had helped her daughter so far!

We are meeting up next week so that she can give it to us. I am SO excited for my son and even more grateful that someone would care enough to help him have this device that our family can't afford to buy for him.

angel

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Replies (51-54):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I saw that Proloquo is nearly $200. I am going to speak with his Regional Center worker to see if somehow they can help with that cost.

Quoting Anonymous:

We managed to get the iPad, but couldn't afford the Proquo 2 go (not sure of the spelling.) There's another one that's less expensive that I have google the name of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

http://urtalker.com/10-alternative-communication-apps-for-ipad/

Here's a listing of communication apps and their pricing. I know that it's more expensive, but the proquo 2 go (can't seem to spell it right.) is the one they recommend the most. I believe that's the one Carly Fleischmann(Carly's Voice) uses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

http://itaalk.org/fundingsources/medicalinsurancecoverage.html

You may be able to get your insurance to cover the cost of the app.

MammaPaparazza
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM
That's so awesome !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)