Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop popping your kid

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I went to a baby shower today, and a girl there had an 11 month old. Seriously, like every 5 minutes she was saying "pop him" about something else. Seriously...wtf? He's 11 months old.

My dd was sitting in the floor playing and he walked up and hit her on the head...so what does mom do? Pops him. And says "idk where he learned to hit"....umm...probably from you....I just don't understand some people
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Replies (61-70):
MamaBuck09
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM
We "pop" in my house but not that young.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Lol you are lucky... I thought I got lucky too until my baby came along and I was in shock because I am not even like that so I didn't know what to do lol... she has me pulling out my hair sometimes, she is the sweetest thing but goodness she has some energy, and when we take her to the park she has to climb on the most dangerous climbing thing and scares the snot out of me... I dontt know if I can handle another one of her lol but I love her, she definately keeps me busy and on my toes

Quoting Stephd710:

Yes I got very lucky with these girls. I'm not having anymore so I don't have go worry about getting an adventurous kid. Lol! I spank too. Time out and no doesnt always work.

Quoting uriahadel:

My six year old didn't do any of that either but every child is different... my two year old is a little on the wild side, and she likes to adventure so she likes to take risks and if you tell her no that will hurt you, she goes for it even more. She is my fearless one... she will walk out into the pool and not think twice about it and she can't swim but she keeps doing, my six year old on the other hand won't get off the steps unless you hold her... every child is different in their own ways so don't be surprised if you get that one that is fearless and will do it regardless of what you say and do... spankings work for her and that is the only thing that works for her which is why I still do it... I rarely spank my oldest... I usually take her favorites away because that works for her, but sometimes which is rarely that I do need to spank her to get her back on track

Quoting Stephd710:

I didn't baby proof either. I've got two year old twins and never has either of them tried to stick their finger in a light socket, flushed stuff down the toilet, or gotten into cabinets they aren't allowed to. I just started teaching them "no" very early. I also faked like the heater, sockets, etc really hurt mommy when I touch them and so far that has kept them away. Lol!

Quoting uriahadel:

I did it tp my nine month old who kept going to the light socket after telling her not to and repeatedly moving her, but she laughed and went back so yes I popped her on the hands... it was for her safety and she never did it again. She was walking at the time. She was also going for my breakable and was climbing so yes I had to protect and you can't baby proof everything and I don't believe in baby proofing, I believing in teaching a child not to do something. I have a six year old who I never baby proofed and she never had accidents and now I have a two year old and never baby proofed and she never had accidents because I was the parent and I watched her and disciplined her as needed... she is a very happy child, but she now knows what she can and cannot have

Quoting Anonymous:

You would do that to an 11 month old?

Quoting uriahadel:

Really??? You people need to grow up and know what violence is... popping for something unacceptable is not violence. Although I prefer putting them over my knee and giving them a good ole fashion spanking they will never forget

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Was she actually hitting him in front of your child?

If so, I would have said something. I don't want my kids exposed to violence like that. (And yes - I would call repeatedly hitting a baby violence).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Hmmm - well calling people "crazy" is definitely name calling.

I am well aware of the definiton of the word - for me hitting a baby meets that definition.

It doesn't have to for you.

For some reason you think there is only one perception of what violence is...

I am fine with understanding different people will have different ideas of what rises to meet the definition.  If you ask people from different cultures (even across the United States) what rises to the level of violence, there would be a range of answers.  Take culture out - and even ask individuals - there would be a wide range there as well. 

I hope you have a nice day.

Quoting uriahadel:

Who is name calling?? I called you ignorant and it is the truth, because you clearly don't know the definition which is why I told you to look it up in the dictionary so you won't have to be ignorant towards the subject anymore... it is not name calling... it is a fact...

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting uriahadel:

Wow - name calling and it is not even 9 yet - how special!

You have your ideas on what constitutes violence I have mine.

The good news is we don't have to agree.

You are the only one resorting to nastiness, however.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM
oh STFU

Quoting Anonymous:

it should be

Quoting Anonymous:

Spanking is not illegal everywhere.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

I don't believe in disciplining kids in that manner that young. Spanking is illegal and 'popping' just teaches them to hit you back. My daughter knew and knows no means no when I say it.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

OK...  you have fun with that.

I'll try a different goodbye.

Maybe you will find that less "condescending".

Adios!

Quoting Anonymous:

I never claimed that I wasn't condescending. You did, "dear". Therein lies the difference.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

LOL - anon wants to nit pick my word choice endlessly - but I'm the condescending one? LOL!  Ahh the irony!  :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, dear. There's that condescending attitude again. Oh, wait, you're never condescending.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh dear - toodles is a way to say goodbye.

Now you don't like the way I say goodbye? Lol. Ok anon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Thank you. That is so wierd it is okay to spank until 12, then suddenly it is illegal. Who thought up that law?  If you are going to make it illegal, make it illegal. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I'm pretty sure spanking under 2 and over 12 is illegal in at least some provinces in Canada?

I could be off on those numbers - we would need a "Canuck" to confirm! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Not saying I am pro spanking and I don't think one should go around popping babies. But where is spanking illegal at?  Where has it been made law not to spank. Just curious. As far as I am aware it is still legal as long as it does not leave marks etc.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

I don't believe in disciplining kids in that manner that young. Spanking is illegal and 'popping' just teaches them to hit you back. My daughter knew and knows no means no when I say it.

lovinmama411
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Kids don't have to "learn" to hit, that is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. It's totally natural for a kid or toddler to hit, whether they have ever been spanked or not.

However, 11 months is way way too young to pop, hit, spank or anything else. Redirection or a "no" it about all you can do at that age.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I don't know the rationale behind the law.  I totally see your point though!  LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you. That is so wierd it is okay to spank until 12, then suddenly it is illegal. Who thought up that law?  If you are going to make it illegal, make it illegal. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I'm pretty sure spanking under 2 and over 12 is illegal in at least some provinces in Canada?

I could be off on those numbers - we would need a "Canuck" to confirm! :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Not saying I am pro spanking and I don't think one should go around popping babies. But where is spanking illegal at?  Where has it been made law not to spank. Just curious. As far as I am aware it is still legal as long as it does not leave marks etc.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Hmmm...

Let's try "Shalom".

Maybe that masks it better for you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. Still can't see it. People who can point it out to others, but cannot see it in themselves tickle me.

Adios. Au revoir. Gtfo.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

OK...  you have fun with that.

I'll try a different goodbye.

Maybe you will find that less "condescending".

Adios!

Quoting Anonymous:

I never claimed that I wasn't condescending. You did, "dear". Therein lies the difference.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

LOL - anon wants to nit pick my word choice endlessly - but I'm the condescending one? LOL!  Ahh the irony!  :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, dear. There's that condescending attitude again. Oh, wait, you're never condescending.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh dear - toodles is a way to say goodbye.

Now you don't like the way I say goodbye? Lol. Ok anon.

uriahadel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Again look it up in the dictionary and you will know the true meaning of violence, and it is not a pop on the hand... just because it is your opinion, it does not make it fact... look up the word for violence, and it would not say a pop on the hand... and yes crazy is what you are if you really believe that... that is not name calling... I want to say about 80 percent of these women on cm are crazy and I don't see you as an exception

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Hmmm - well calling people "crazy" is definitely name calling.

I am well aware of the definiton of the word - for me hitting a baby meets that definition.

It doesn't have to for you.

For some reason you think there is only one perception of what violence is...

I am fine with understanding different people will have different ideas of what rises to meet the definition.  If you ask people from different cultures (even across the United States) what rises to the level of violence, there would be a range of answers.  Take culture out - and even ask individuals - there would be a wide range there as well. 

I hope you have a nice day.

Quoting uriahadel:

Who is name calling?? I called you ignorant and it is the truth, because you clearly don't know the definition which is why I told you to look it up in the dictionary so you won't have to be ignorant towards the subject anymore... it is not name calling... it is a fact...

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting uriahadel:

Wow - name calling and it is not even 9 yet - how special!

You have your ideas on what constitutes violence I have mine.

The good news is we don't have to agree.

You are the only one resorting to nastiness, however.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN