Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bad Teenagers equal Bad Parenting

Posted by   + Show Post

Teenagers are like five year olds. If your parenting skills are bad, you will produce BAD teenagers.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
LuLuThatsWho
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I think that ineffective parenting produces bad teenagers.  I was a bad teenager.  My parents are wonderful people and used solid parenting techniques.  They simply did not adapt to what worked for me.  They didn't parent me as an individual.  I think that they largely followed the "it worked for my parents" model, and what worked for them as teenagers didn't work for me.  They weren't bad parents, but they ended up with a bad teenager. :(

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Not necessarily. I have some friends that are great parents and their teens are "bad".  

macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Well there are plenty of studies that will show just that, but it can also be observed. Look around, the kids who are doing well in high school tend to be the ones with involved, caring parents.

Quoting thetrollcat:

and you know this for a fact because?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think in general this is true. You will always have the kids who buck the trend in either direction, but true for the most part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM

i agree. my dh was a horrible teen until he enlisted adn now hes a wonderful person. but his sister is just horrible all the way around. everytime my SIL name is brought up ALL i see is pain  in my MIL eyes because of the way she treats her own mother when she was raised better then that.

I tell dh that i dont care if our boys rebel a little as teens as long as when they are grown men they are good people.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could be the best damn patent in the world and some teens will still rebel.

It's the simple fact that they want to believe that they know it all and can do it all without help, assistance or guidance.

Sure, some bad parents will end up with bad teens, but they could also end up with great teens while good parents end up with the bad ones.

In general, it has nothing to do with the parents they have, but has everything to do with the young adult they are turning into.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM
What Mac said.

Quoting macbudsmom:

Well there are plenty of studies that will show just that, but it can also be observed. Look around, the kids who are doing well in high school tend to be the ones with involved, caring parents.

Quoting thetrollcat:

and you know this for a fact because?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think in general this is true. You will always have the kids who buck the trend in either direction, but true for the most part.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

normal teenagers are not suppose to worry about school. Parents want them FALLING in love an dhaving sex and partying and being a NORMAL teenager :O

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a sad world we live in. I was to busy worrying about school and graduating than partying.
I also had parents not two people who tried to be my friend...kwim.
I wasn't allowed to be a heathen.

Quoting thetrollcat:

sure it is....

If you dont let them have sex they will just rebel and do it anyhow.

Afterall, the idea and goal is to teach our teens to screw, party, rebel, and if possible graduate, but that isnt a requirement these days.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its not so black and white.

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Interesting coming from the one kicking her teen out for being terrible...

thetrollcat
by Meow on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Im easy in bed too.

Quoting samiam2919:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im glad I made that decision for you lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
But if both kids in the family were troublesome, doesnt that suggest that it might be the parents fault?

Quoting Anonymous:

i agree. my dh was a horrible teen until he enlisted adn now hes a wonderful person. but his sister is just horrible all the way around. everytime my SIL name is brought up ALL i see is pain  in my MIL eyes because of the way she treats her own mother when she was raised better then that.

I tell dh that i dont care if our boys rebel a little as teens as long as when they are grown men they are good people.

Quoting Anonymous:

You could be the best damn patent in the world and some teens will still rebel.

It's the simple fact that they want to believe that they know it all and can do it all without help, assistance or guidance.

Sure, some bad parents will end up with bad teens, but they could also end up with great teens while good parents end up with the bad ones.

In general, it has nothing to do with the parents they have, but has everything to do with the young adult they are turning into.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
It all depends if te kid is more nature or nurture based.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)