Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help!! I want to be healthy!!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 38 Replies

I confess - I'm lazy and overweight.  I do not have thyroid problems or any other medical issue that contributes to me being overweight.  I'm just lazy and had a ton of kids in a row.  I do struggle with depression but I know I can beat this - I just have to get up off the couch.  I have an elliptical machine but I don't use it, and I've got horrible eating habits.  I don't eat a ton of food, I just eat unhealthy food and I'm an emotional eater, late night eater, and a grazer.  

For those who can relate but have beat the beast - please share any tips/tricks/advice on cutting out bad eating habits and motivating yourself to move when you just don't feel like it.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tharealty2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM

BUMP!

702girly
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I eat a bowl of vegetables before meals and if I feel like snacking. I use fresh veggies or frozen veggies that I eat up in the microwave and I add some pepper and mustard to them.

It helps a lot. It's hard to overeat on other foods when you're full of vegetables. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Turn everything that you've said negative into positives. Tell yourself that YOU CAN get up off of the couch. That YOU WILL eat healthier foods.  Start slow, lift a little and get on the elliptical for a short period of time at first. On the first day, workout for only 10 minutes. Do that for a whole week.  Increase your time the following week. Keep your workout interesting, concentrating on upper body one day, lower body the next. Realize that this has to be a way of life. If you work out,  you have to eat right because the two go hand in hand. Eat before 7:00 and brush your teeth shortly there after. You will be less prone to eat past 7:00  

Be very patient. You are not going to start seeing results right away. Infact, you will gain before your weight actually drops and this is okay. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Another challenge, stay away from people that eat all the time, that tell you that you are trying to be 'skinny' and that are simply not supportive. They can work on mentally and totally through you off. Most times they have no idea they are doing that.

I hope this all helps. By the way, I have done everything that I told you to do and I am very happy with the fact that I spend less time working out now because my weight is where I want it to be. I won't lie, the plateaus were quiite discourgaging but I was and still am determined to be happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.  

daiseymae2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM
2 moms liked this
You should check out a weight loss group. They would have the info you are looking for and be nicer about than this group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the best thing to do is join a gym and find a workout buddy.  I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks.  I will be joing again the end of January.  It helps with depression also.

tharealty2

Quoting 702girly:

I eat a bowl of vegetables before meals and if I feel like snacking. I use fresh veggies or frozen veggies that I eat up in the microwave and I add some pepper and mustard to them.

It helps a lot. It's hard to overeat on other foods when you're full of vegetables. 

thanks!!  I do love veggies but we don't usually have alot on hand.  I love eating broccoli and cauliflower but I usually eat so much I get 'sick' of them for a while.  What kind've veggies do you normally eat?

rockabillybetty
Chimichanga!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tharealty2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Quoting melakay1981:

I think the best thing to do is join a gym and find a workout buddy.  I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks.  I will be joing again the end of January.  It helps with depression also.

thanks!  I don't have the money to join a gym plus I tried that before but it was difficult to match up times that was good for both of us to go.  I know it helps with depression which is another reason I want to get off my butt and quit complaining.

moneysaver6
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Twice a day, for just 15 minutes...move. Can't get outside? Use the elliptical, or go up & down your stairs, or run in place, or do crunches, or stretch...or a combination of any of them.

Drink enough water, but no more than 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water.

Instead of eliminating food, just start eating the healthy foods. If you currently don't have any fruits or veggies, make a goal to get one serving in by lunch & one in by bedtime. Add in servings of fruits & veggies until you are having a minimum of 7 servings a day.

Don't do elimination diets. They're unhealthy & don't work. Your body needs various fruits, veggies, carbs, proteins, & fats. Take one of those out, & your body won't function as well as it should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this

702 reminded me of something that I forgot to mention. EAT ALOT OF RAW VEGGIES. Veggies are filling but you won't feel totally stuffed like you can't move or are sleepy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)