Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help!! I want to be healthy!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I confess - I'm lazy and overweight.  I do not have thyroid problems or any other medical issue that contributes to me being overweight.  I'm just lazy and had a ton of kids in a row.  I do struggle with depression but I know I can beat this - I just have to get up off the couch.  I have an elliptical machine but I don't use it, and I've got horrible eating habits.  I don't eat a ton of food, I just eat unhealthy food and I'm an emotional eater, late night eater, and a grazer.  

For those who can relate but have beat the beast - please share any tips/tricks/advice on cutting out bad eating habits and motivating yourself to move when you just don't feel like it.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Replies (31-38):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Wow, I give up on that point I was trying to make.

Quoting 702girly:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 702girly:

Quoting Anonymous:

Do not diet, starving yourself makes you gain weight.

Everyone who eats food has a diet. There's nothing wrong with making healthier food choices to lose extra weight. That's not starving yourself.

You are reading more into what I said. What I am referring to is the South Beach Diet, the Cabbage Soup diet, The Atkins Diet etc. Vegetables are quite filling and should be everyone's diet.  

Where did the OP or anyone on this thread suggest starvation or using one of those diets?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, are you a gemini, too?

Quoting tharealty2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 702girly:

Quoting Anonymous:

Everyone who eats food has a diet. There's nothing wrong with making healthier food choices to lose extra weight. That's not starving yourself.

You are reading more into what I said. What I am referring to is the South Beach Diet, the Cabbage Soup diet, The Atkins Diet etc. Vegetables are quite filling and should be a part of everyone's diet.  

I understood what you meant and I agree.  what you eat is your diet but going on a lose weight plan type of diet normally does not work.  Especially with personalities like mine.

tharealty2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL, are you a gemini, too?

Quoting tharealty2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 702girly:

Quoting Anonymous:

You are reading more into what I said. What I am referring to is the South Beach Diet, the Cabbage Soup diet, The Atkins Diet etc. Vegetables are quite filling and should be a part of everyone's diet.  

I understood what you meant and I agree.  what you eat is your diet but going on a lose weight plan type of diet normally does not work.  Especially with personalities like mine.

virgo - but i seem to have little of the positive virgo characteristics

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
You gave some decent advice,but you are wrong on muscle weighing more than fat. A lb of muscle is equal to a lb of fat. Just that muscle takes less space. Sometimes you gain in the beginning because the muscles begin to hold on to water.

Quoting Anonymous:

Turn everything that you've said negative into positives. Tell yourself that YOU CAN get up off of the couch. That YOU WILL eat healthier foods.  Start slow, lift a little and get on the elliptical for a short period of time at first. On the first day, workout for only 10 minutes. Do that for a whole week.  Increase your time the following week. Keep your workout interesting, concentrating on upper body one day, lower body the next. Realize that this has to be a way of life. If you work out,  you have to eat right because the two go hand in hand. Eat before 7:00 and brush your teeth shortly there after. You will be less prone to eat past 7:00  

Be very patient. You are not going to start seeing results right away. Infact, you will gain before your weight actually drops and this is okay. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Another challenge, stay away from people that eat all the time, that tell you that you are trying to be 'skinny' and that are simply not supportive. They can work on mentally and totally through you off. Most times they have no idea they are doing that.

I hope this all helps. By the way, I have done everything that I told you to do and I am very happy with the fact that I spend less time working out now because my weight is where I want it to be. I won't lie, the plateaus were quiite discourgaging but I was and still am determined to be happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.  

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I know exactly what you mean.  I was that person.  I started taking karate last year and it changed my life.  My instructor busted my butt every week and gave me the encouragement that I so desperately needed.  My depression has vanished and I no longer think of myself as fat.  It changed how I speak to myself.  

brittany208
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Motivation and discipline are kind of like muscles. The more you use them, the easier they are to use. Start with easy things, and before long they will be habits.

brittany208
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

perhaps she meant an "inch" of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat...

Quoting Anonymous:

You gave some decent advice,but you are wrong on muscle weighing more than fat. A lb of muscle is equal to a lb of fat. Just that muscle takes less space. Sometimes you gain in the beginning because the muscles begin to hold on to water.

Quoting Anonymous:

Turn everything that you've said negative into positives. Tell yourself that YOU CAN get up off of the couch. That YOU WILL eat healthier foods.  Start slow, lift a little and get on the elliptical for a short period of time at first. On the first day, workout for only 10 minutes. Do that for a whole week.  Increase your time the following week. Keep your workout interesting, concentrating on upper body one day, lower body the next. Realize that this has to be a way of life. If you work out,  you have to eat right because the two go hand in hand. Eat before 7:00 and brush your teeth shortly there after. You will be less prone to eat past 7:00  

Be very patient. You are not going to start seeing results right away. Infact, you will gain before your weight actually drops and this is okay. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Another challenge, stay away from people that eat all the time, that tell you that you are trying to be 'skinny' and that are simply not supportive. They can work on mentally and totally through you off. Most times they have no idea they are doing that.

I hope this all helps. By the way, I have done everything that I told you to do and I am very happy with the fact that I spend less time working out now because my weight is where I want it to be. I won't lie, the plateaus were quiite discourgaging but I was and still am determined to be happy with what I see when I look in the mirror.  

tharealty2
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Quoting brittany208:

Motivation and discipline are kind of like muscles. The more you use them, the easier they are to use. Start with easy things, and before long they will be habits.

love this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)