Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i seriously don't get the debate.... enlighten me? *eta*eta2*

Posted by   + Show Post

With carseats...

Why wouldn't a mom want to follow the most up to date recommendations about safety? I'm not bashing, I'm just trying to understand. Maybe it's because my dad was a fire fighter and tells horrific stories about car crashes.... but if experts are saying rf til age 2 is SAFEST I'm going to follow it! Obviously it's your child and your choice, but I'd like to know what led you to that choice.

Please give me an intelligent explanation so I can better understand the reasoning behind early FF.

"Because I want to" "it's none of your business" "who cares" etc etc will be ignored.

Again- not bashing, just curious!

*eta*
Thank you for all the honest reasons! I can understand some of them.

My whole point was- I don't understand the whole "because I can" mentality. Some ladies gave some different reasons that make more sense.

As to the negative ladies- again- your replies won't be answered by me :)

*eta 2*

in case you were wondering, this is the one I have. 

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360518

to correct my earlier comment- it RF until 40lbs. hopefully it will last for my DS. 

and I promise, I'm not trying to be condescending or trying to bash anyone. I have an interest in psychology and sociology- and I always wonder how or why people make certain decisions. I have tried to be respectful to those who have said more than "stfu" or something similar.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (331-334):
NCISfan2003
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Thanks

Quoting KayelynnsMama:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12974054&searchURL=false

Same carseat only a different cover now.

Quoting NCISfan2003:

Can you give me the name of her carseat and the specifics on it? I really like the looks of it?

Quoting KayelynnsMama:

DD 2 years 9 months. I don't understand the debate either...

overweightmommy
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yeah, I only know 1 person IRL that follows the new recommendations. I know 2 people who post pics of their kids improperly strapped in. Every time I see it, I make sure to post about car seat safety and one of them likes the posts(and I've seen improvement with her) and the other I have talked to directly about it and she didn't seem to care. She has the "I do what I want" attitude. Well, no, it's more a "It's too hard to do what you say so I'm not going to do it", even though it's really not that hard.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never come across a parent who doesn't follow the recommendations.

Really? I find that amazing. I've met a lot of people who use improper carseats (like a backless booster for a 1yo) if they even use carseats to begin with.

Starting weight: 217

DarlaHood
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree!  And I'm also always impressed with many moms these days.  My dd is a great mom, and she really thinks and researches her decisions also.  For me, I think I can sometimes pass along hard-earned lessons/wisdom, and sometimes I can learn from younger moms because things change!  Good for you for being an informed mom!

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Thank you. I'm on mobile- but I wish I had posted links while on a computer yesterday! You're the 2nd one to do research because if this post. It wasn't my original intention- but it's great!

My mom said she's impressed at how much I research for ds. So much has changed since I was a kid.

Quoting DarlaHood:

I don't have small children anymore, and I haven't for a really long time.  My youngest dd is in college now.  But I watched the video, and then went and did a little research to see what the latest information and research is. 

I have to say that if I have more Grandchildren (My only 1 now is 8), I would want my dd's to put them in RF position for as long as possible and appropriate for the weight/height limitation.  It just seems like the safest.  There are times when exceptions probably are necessary for extreme car sickness and other extenuating circumstances.  But even if I had to drive my grandkids somewhere, i would want to face them to the rear to be as safe as possible in the majority of crash scenarios.  I'm not sure why some people would resist doing that, but I don't have anything bad to say.  Good moms might make that choice for logical reasons, and long as they are within the guidelines of the law, then they should have the right to do what they feel most comfortable with in keeping their kids safe.  I do think it's great that you are spreading awareness.  I wouldn't have known.

.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have seen MANY people using car seats wrong. Turning around too early (before a year), bulky coats in the seat, straps not positioned correctly/very loose, boostering too soon, chest clip way too low. not just people who don't ERF, but people who do not use the seats right, I wish I could say I've never actually seen it, but I've seen it far more often than not.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never come across a parent who doesn't follow the recommendations.

I think the problems come from some not ERF. Those that don't do it, are bashed for it by some and are told they don't care about their kids and are bad parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)