Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone heard of diet coke to calm a hyperactive PreSchooler?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
  • 25 Replies
The father of my son and are not together, I moved to the east coast he lives in the west. This past year was the first time my 4 yr spent the summer with his dad (he stays with me the remaining of the time).

My sons been having some behavior problems at school not listening and not taking teachers serious- he suggested I take him to the doctor to examine him for ADHD and give him diet coke to calm him down. That he was giving him diet coke over the summer and it was working. That they have a Dr in the fam and that's what was suggested.

I've never heard of that and haven't done research... Just seems like a quick fix that can cause more harm in the long run? And medicating him with diet coke?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

hell NO....aspartame can cause cancer and tumors....your'e better off giving the child coffee

clippingmom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM

My friends son is ADHD and she gives him Mt Dew. has the opposite effect on him.

she also gives him coffee.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM
It's not the diet come, it's the caffeine that's sometimes calms a hyper child. Your son is only 4 that's young for an ADHD diagnosis.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
When my oldest son was small, his doc suggested giving him small amounts of coffee. It actually did work. I wouldn't give a child a diet drink though- as the 1st comment pointed out, the aspartame is horrible.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Absolutly not.

A drink loaded with sugar and artificial color and flavors will only make things worse.

An child with ADHD (or any kind of severe/over hyperactivity) needs to have that kind of garbage eliminated from their diet. Remove all artificial colors, flavors, MSG, refined sugars, etc.

Give the child lots of water, fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans.. You will see an amazing transformation in 6 weeks if you're willing to put in the work.

LuvinMyBoy81
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM
My DS6 is ADHD but I'm putting off medicating as long as possible. I just took most artificial dyes and refined sugar out of his diet and make sure he has lots of protein and he is on a daily vitamin and fish oil and he is a different kid! I would not suggest diet coke at all when you can get a better effect the healthy way. We knew with our DS at 4 but did not do anything about it until he started school. Good luck Momma, its a tough road.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Coffee is a better choice...it works the way most ADHD medicines do. A stimulant affects people with add or ADHD differently than others.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM
No my gets don't get diet anything .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Wow.

Quoting clippingmom:

My friends son is ADHD and she gives him Mt Dew. has the opposite effect on him.

she also gives him coffee.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Yes. Some kids who are hyper active get the reverse effect from caffeine.  It can actually calm them down.  But lots of parents use coffee.  It's a pretty well known fact, I'm sure if you did some Googling you could find quite a bit of info on it if you want more than CM advice on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)