Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mispronouncing or misspelling names.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 262 Replies
2 moms liked this

So I have a friend who named her dd Lia. Pronounced Leah. She gets so mad when people mispronounce or misspell it.  While I understand it can be frustrating, I don't see it as something the get all pissy over.  Her family and friends spell and pronounce it correctly.  I was with her at the ER and they called her Lie-ahh. My friend got all huffy. 

Did you spell your kids name different than the norm. Does it irritate you if a stranger mispronounces or misspells it

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Yes. Jamara. Pronounced Jah-mare-rah
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
My kids are Ava and Bree. Pretty much impossible to misprounounce. They get spelled wrong a lot tho....Brie...Eva....that doesn't really bug me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Caleb- my husbands Jewish grandmother insisted on calling him (ka-leeb) drive me nuts

My name is Alyson so naturally my nickname is Aly but we have always spelled it Alea and ppl always pronounce it (alee-uh)
Doesn't really bother me too much I just correct them and go on with my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I spelled Braedyn differently but no one mispronounces it and I don't really care if they spell it wrong. I was fully aware when I chose the spelling not everyone would get it. There's more important things to get upset and huffy about.
ninjakids
by Christina on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I get mad when i correct people and they still use the way they were saying it.

Oldest ds - Cyril (pronounced sigh-rol) but everyone reads his name at first as sir-ol
caito
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Yes, I spelled my daughter's name Jossalyn. It's pronounced phonetically, and anyone who mispronounces it is a dumbass, because it's extremely straightforward. I spelled it Jossalyn instead of Jocelyn because I wanted her nickname (Joss) to make sense. She has a cousin named Joselyn, so her name is misspelled as well. I don't know why her mom chose that spelling, but they call her Josie a lot.

I don't get irritated when people misspell it because I'm used to spelling it out immediately after I say it at doctor's offices and stuff. I've done the same with my name my entire life.

slvr115
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM
4 moms liked this
When I named my son jack everyone told me I was being unoriginal. I'm so glad I picked a name that I wouldn't have to spell/correct a million times...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM
My sons name is Malakai only his bio dad spells it right and i usually have to repeat my self or my ds does when someone asks his name. Honestly people who have read the bible in dept never have asked how to say it, they just say oh like out of the bible and they get it.
butterflies798
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are Taylor: pretty easy!

Kylee: people call her kaylee or kayla, really it is completely obvious what it is! It doesn't bother me but I do wonder if those people can read.

Emylee: her name is pronounce Emily obviously! But we get alot of Emy-lee. Or people spell it Emily. I don't get mad and we just correct them. dd laughs!

Kenna: no issues there...I just like seeing her name written or typed :)

Rylan: He gets called Ryan ALOT! Really there is an "L" in it! But like I said nothing bothers me alot. I just tell them the correct way.

In my opinion, if you name your child something different or a different spelling then you need to be prepared for people to not spell/say it right.

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
People forget the d on my sons name a lot. Ryland. People spell and pronounce it Rylan quite a bit. It doesn't bother me though, I just correct them.

When I was younger people used to call me Regan but my name is Raven. I think they just heard me wrong though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)