Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

single moms in the army

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
I am thinking about talking to a recruiter about joining the army. The more i think about it the more it seems like a good idea for myself but what about my son? All i want is the best for him. How hard is it to be a single mom in the military?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilentMermaid
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I am almost entirely sure you'd have to give someone else (a parent or friend) temporary custody. I had a good friend when I was in who had a baby at 16. She gave temporary custody to her mother and flew them out to see her 2-3 times a year. She's out now and has custody of him again and is making a great living doing what we did the military. If its something you would consider, choose an MOS in the military that will offer certifications, licensing, security clearances, etc and decent pay and job growth on the outside, so that the sacrificed time will not be wasted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Custody the whole time i am in or just the time it takes to actually get me to the first duty station?

Quoting SilentMermaid:

I am almost entirely sure you'd have to give someone else (a parent or friend) temporary custody. I had a good friend when I was in who had a baby at 16. She gave temporary custody to her mother and flew them out to see her 2-3 times a year. She's out now and has custody of him again and is making a great living doing what we did the military. If its something you would consider, choose an MOS in the military that will offer certifications, licensing, security clearances, etc and decent pay and job growth on the outside, so that the sacrificed time will not be wasted.

SilentMermaid
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The entire time, but you can ask to make sure. I'm not 100% positive on that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Custody the whole time i am in or just the time it takes to actually get me to the first duty station?

Quoting SilentMermaid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You will have to sign cutsody away first. And yes for the whole enlistment. You can get in trouble if they find out you took it back as soon as you get to your first duty station. good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You would have to give up custody to someone else for your entire enlistment if you want to join the Army. The Army will not enlist a single parent & if they find out you have taken back custody once you finish BCT/AIT, it will be considered a fraudulent enlistment and you will get in serious trouble. 

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I would suggest talking to a recuriter. From others I have heard on this is your first enlistment you have to give temp custody. Then if you can get custody back there is always the Family Care Plan you have to have in place if you were to have to go to the field, TDY, or deploy!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do that being a single parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Wow i did not know this. So if we were a duel military family and later got divorced it would be fine? I am still married and living with my husband but we plan on getting a divorce next year.
SilentMermaid
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

If you become a single parent after already being in, you should be okay. You just have to have a Family Care Plan. But it will be very hard :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow i did not know this. So if we were a duel military family and later got divorced it would be fine? I am still married and living with my husband but we plan on getting a divorce next year.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM
This right here. But there are some recruiters that wont even let you in at all even if you sign over custody because it can be fraudulent enlistment. Its not impossible to get in though. So be very careful.

Quoting Anonymous:

You would have to give up custody to someone else for your entire enlistment if you want to join the Army. The Army will not enlist a single parent & if they find out you have taken back custody once you finish BCT/AIT, it will be considered a fraudulent enlistment and you will get in serious trouble. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)