Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you don't celebrate Christmas or anything else right now, do your kids feel left out?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
1 mom liked this

Wondering if your kids feel left out with all of the activity going on at the malls, school, with friends...even when they see commercials on TV about Santa coming and kids getting presents under the tree on Christmas morning, do they wonder why you don't celebrate Christmas?  Do they ask for gifts?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
My partner was raised Jehovah's Witness and he said not celebrating didn't bother him at all. We celebrate everything here together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This is a main reason why we continue to celebrate Christmas and play into the stupid Santa crap.  I don't want them to miss out on the fun, and knowing the kids my daughter goes to school with, she would be ridiculed incessently.  

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont know. My kids went to school with some kids who didnt observe the commercial aspect of it. They beleved in Christmas, as far as the religious part, but didnt do trees or gifts. (it had to do with their religion...they werent JW, but something else)

I know they didnt participate in the school Christmas programs, but I dont recall them ever feeling left out.

I do know though that at Christmas break, their whole family would go on a big vacation, a cruise, or whatever. If you are raised from day one like that, I dont think it's really a big deal. I think they got over getting gifts for one day...they got other things throughout the year.

travelbunny
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

How can kids miss something if they've never participated in it?  Our two holidays are the two Eids (Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha) and our kids know why we only have two holidays in Islam.  Since they'll be raised back home in a Muslim country they won't be exposed to other holidays besides the two Eids.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting travelbunny:

How can kids miss something if they've never participated in it?  Our two holidays are the two Eids (Eid Al Fitr and Eid Al Adha) and our kids know why we only have two holidays in Islam.  Since they'll be raised back home in a Muslim country they won't be exposed to other holidays besides the two Eids.

I think she was speaking about those children raised in american society where, from October to January, you can't turn a corner without seeing ads for xmas presents, giant santas, and decorated trees - the schools do xmas/holiday programs, their friends celebrate, etc.

It's easy to feel left out of something that is constantly "in your face". KWIM?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Please don't say jipped. It's a very insulting word that comes from gypped (Gypsies)

It's as offensive to us as the N word is to African Americans

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
I dont allow santa, tree, etc in my home. We work hard to provide the needs and wants of our children. We dont believe in lying and saying that some fat stranger breaks into our house and give you toys. We teach stranger danger. However, my children get gifts all year around just because. We do buy toys this time of year, we just let them plays with them after we get back from the toy store. So they dont miss out on anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Even for the kids raised here in America, if they never celebrate there's nothing to miss. You know? I went to school with a girl who didn't celebrate Christmas and it wasn't a big deal for her. Can't miss what you never had. But that being said I can't imagine a child not feeling even a little weird when everyone comes back from break talking about all the toys they received.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting travelbunny:

I think she was speaking about those children raised in american society where, from October to January, you can't turn a corner without seeing ads for xmas presents, giant santas, and decorated trees - the schools do xmas/holiday programs, their friends celebrate, etc.

It's easy to feel left out of something that is constantly "in your face". KWIM?

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Ha!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Please don't say jipped. It's a very insulting word that comes from gypped (Gypsies)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRae85
by *you're on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

What an odd response...

confused

Quoting Newmom8912:

Ha!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)