Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O of mispronouncing names *Edit

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM
  • 86 Replies

I dont get all pissy when someone mispronounces or mispells names but sometimes it is quite annoying. Especially when the name is simple.

My name is Brandie. In Kindergarten my teacher taught me to write my name. She taught me to write it with a Y. My mom was pissed lol. I was spelling my own name wrong. Brandy.

My sons name is Bransyn. There really is no other wy to pronounce it. Or so I thought. At the Dr people call him Bryson or Brantley.

The horrible part is our last name is Lyda. Pronounced Lie-dah. I get Li-da or Lydia all the time. Sometimes people assume my first name is Lydia. So they think my last name is Brandie? They do the same thing with my son.

I have seen a few people comment that we are setting our children up for mispronunciations and mispelling my havind different names. I seriously believe it is laziness on most names. How hard is it to sound it out. My 6 yr old can do that. Brandie is not all that unique. The spelling isnt either. Bransyn looks different because of the Y, There is no way to screw that up if you are looking at it.

People here say people gat names like Lucy messed up. Lucy is very normal. I just think the lazy people need to take a minute to read instead of guessing

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I specifically gave my kids "normal" names with "normal" spellings to avoid all this mess....

Don't you know, people still want to say and spell Alexandra with an "i" and make it Alexandria?

My legal name is Kathryn, but I go by Katie. Well, people see Kathryn and assume that I shorten it to Kathy...I don't even correct most people anymore (unless it's someone I'll be dealing with on a long term basis). Or, I tell people my name is Katie, and they insist on calling me Kate. In fact, my name badge for work says "Kate". 

travelbunny
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It annoys me that people can't pronounce my first or last name correctly.  My name is Angelica.  I get people who say my name as "Angeleca". 

angevil53
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM
My dd name is Lyla and I've heard Lela tons. Idc though. It doesn't bug me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm a substitute teacher. I appologize before I even attempt to take attendance in the morning. Foreign names, especially, I have NO idea how to pronounce that. But I'll have them tell me the correct way and I'll do my best to get it right the rest of the day.

slvr115
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM
My son's name it jack. So far, no one has managed to mess it up...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

All of my kids have properly spelled names. John, Steven, and Brenna. The only 'mess up' I have (quite frequently) is when people just glance at Brenna and call her Brianna. But that is a reading mistake on their part, not a spelling mistake on mine.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I can't stand it when people can clearly SEE how you spell your name (like when replying to an email) and they STILL misspell it! It's RIGHT THERE!! Did you think -I- spelled my own name wrong?! Or you think the H on the end is necessary? It's just lazy not to look how to spell someone's name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Quoting beerebelly:

All of my kids have properly spelled names. John, Steven, and Brenna. The only 'mess up' I have (quite frequently) is when people just glance at Brenna and call her Brianna. But that is a reading mistake on their part, not a spelling mistake on mine.

Um, Jon? Stephen?
SLGross215
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My maiden name was mispronounced 99% of the time. It's understandable though because of how it's spelled, so it never bothered me. It's Rode, but it's pronounced like Roadie.

youknowimloved
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I have a plain, boring name. People still mispronounce it. My best friend of 12 years still spells it wrong.

My last name is 5 letters. My boyfriend's last name is 15 letters. People mispronounce MY name more than HIS name.

I stopped caring a long time ago. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN