Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to buy another Christmas gift I wasn't planning

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Dds friend spent the day with us yesterday. Her friend told us that they got my dd a gift.  Not just a gift.....but one my dd has wanted (I had planned on getting it for her birthday next month). It is $40. I didn't plan on them exchanging gifts....much less $40 ones. What do I do?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-19):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Make her a gift bag with a 5$ movie , popcorn , candy and a pair of compy pj pants . You can do all of that for 20$
BlessedBeX3
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

just say thanks to the parents. this wasn't discussed btween you all. you dont have to get her children anything unless you want to. money is tight these days, why cant ppl see this. every one EXPECTS to get presents but dont think about what this time of the year is really about. *smh*

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Guess you need to go shopping.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I'm sorry...

In that case, I'd call the mom and say something like "I am so touched you thought to buy a gift for my dd, but I can't reciprocate right now - things are just too tight.  I feel awkward without a gift for your little one - so can we skip it this year"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Ugh - go buy something...  Not fun when that happens!

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

The issue is that I struggled to provide presents for my dd and nephew.  I just don't have money to spare.  Literally I get paid on Friday and have less than $100. I need gas and food for the week.  My soon to be ex screwed me royally and until we go to court in Jan he will continue.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting gonecrazi:

Guess you need to go shopping.

I wish I could...but I can't afford it.  I did good just to provide gifts for my own dd and my nephew. I have an awesome job....but DH took off and left me with all the bills. Until court in jan money is tight. 

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM
If the mom is a friend of yours, she probably did it to help and you and dd were not supposed to know ahead of time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Guess you're going to have to go out & buy the friend a gift.

Yeah. Except I struggled just to give my kiddo and nephew presents. My husband took off with all our money in Sept and left me with all our bills..  I got my dd her presents and was able to get my nephew stuff.  I bought stuff to make the adults presents....but I really don't have the money to be going out and buying extras. My friend knows this. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jkampbyll
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

i would do a homemade present then. my sil is real hard up too and was only able to afford some presents for her children. for all the others she is  makeing like a homemade goodie basket sort of thing. when all else fails google it lol. seriosuly though i'm sorry about the crap with your husband and i do hope you and your family have a happy holiday : )

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

There are some great sales - so you can probably find something that retails for a LOT more than you will pay for it....

Dh got 2 $17 board games yesterday for $8 each...  So we are bringing a gift that retails for $34 for just under $20.  (I am adding on a couple things - but you get the idea).  :)

The issue is that I struggled to provide presents for my dd and nephew.  I just don't have money to spare.  Literally I get paid on Friday and have less than $100. I need gas and food for the week.  My soon to be ex screwed me royally and until we go to court in Jan he will continue.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I am determines to make Christmas awesome.  My uncle bought us tickets to the Nutcracker and gave us a gift card to go eat.  We had a blast.  Someone (no clue who) left a $100 Walmart gift card in my mailbox.  We have some elves working to help out.  I haven't asked for help because although presents may be small....we can still have a great Christmas. I made dd two presents fairly cheap with stuff I had and a friend is making a quilt for her with old shirts and other stuff. 

Quoting jkampbyll:

i would do a homemade present then. my sil is real hard up too and was only able to afford some presents for her children. for all the others she is  makeing like a homemade goodie basket sort of thing. when all else fails google it lol. seriosuly though i'm sorry about the crap with your husband and i do hope you and your family have a happy holiday : )

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
That is what I would do. Talk to the mom. You could always give her one of the gifts you bought for your DD. I know that kinda sucks but, if you really wanted to reciprocate, it's an option and you don't have to spend any more money. I hope you can figure something out that works for you!

Quoting darcibeisheim:

Are you sure that this friend got the gift for your dd, or maybe her mom bought it for her instead and used your dd as a cover up...?

Talk to the other mom... tell her xxx mentoioned that you have purchased xxx as a gift for dd... while, I don't mind the kids exchanging gifts, but that is out of my price range..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)